Zooom Airlines plans to return to Indian skies after DGCA renews AOC

Gurugram-based Zoom Airlines (formerly Zoom) Air, which has not flown since the pandemic emerged in 2020, may soon take to the skies again.

Branded under Zexus Air Services, the airline announced on Friday September 15 the renewal of its air carrier certificate by the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGAC). The AOC is a crucial and mandatory document for an air carrier to launch its air services.

“Zooom Airlines has received official approval for commercial passenger operations in India. It has received its Air Operator Certificate (AOC) from the DGCA,” the airline said.

Zoom Airlines (former name) started its operations on domestic routes in February 2017. However, after a year of operation in July 2018, the DGCA suspended its flight permit due to security concerns, but renewed the license after five months in December.

It was, however, only able to restart its services in October 2019 and suspended all operations in March 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The airline then reportedly initiated insolvency proceedings in March 2022.

Zooom Airlines, in its latest statement today, did not mention any details about the insolvency proceedings or its outcome or whether the airline will be operated by the same promoter.

The renewal of Zooom Airlines’ AOC comes at a time when the Indian aviation market is moving towards a monopoly of sorts, with the Tata group bringing all its airline operations under one roof.

While Vistara, in which the Tata group holds a 51 percent stake, along with Singapore Airlines which holds the remaining 49 percent, with Air India, the group’s domestic subsidiary AIX Connect (formerly AirAsia India) is in the process of merging with Air India’s international budget arm, Air India. Express.

Additionally, Zoom Airlines’ return also comes as low-cost carrier Go First opted for voluntary insolvency proceedings after shutting down operations in early May, and fellow carrier SpiceJet faces multiple headwinds .

With this, Zooom Airlines is now officially authorized to begin commercial passenger operations in India, the airline said in the release. “With our AOC in hand, we look forward to providing passengers with a best-in-class travel experience,” said Zooom Atul Gambhir, CEO of Zooom Air.

He also said the airline wanted to cater to the growing number of domestic travelers taking frequent flights.

“Indian domestic aviation is growing and customers are looking for the most cost-effective, secure and convenient solutions. We are confident in our ability to carve a niche for ourselves,” he added.

According to him, the airline has ambitious plans to expand and introduce new routes, ensuring travelers have more options and seamless connectivity.


Back to top button