Sports

Xavi to leave Barcelona a month after deciding to stay

Xavi and Barcelona part ways a month after announcing he would remain as head coach.

The 44-year-old former Spain international announced his intention to leave the club at the end of the season in January before being convinced to reverse his decision in April.

But in the latest twist in the saga – and just 30 days after his contract until 2025 was announced – the decision was made for him to leave the club.

Xavi met with president Joan Laporta and sporting director Deco at the club’s training ground on Friday, alongside his assistants Oscar Hernández and Sergio Alegre, where it was decided that the match against Sevilla on Sunday, the last match of the season of Liga, would be his last. in charge.

A club statement said: “Barcelona would like to thank Xavi for his work as coach, which adds to an unprecedented career as a player and team captain, and wish him all the luck in the world.”

They added that they would provide details on the new first team structure “in the coming days”.

Former Bayern Munich head coach Hansi Flick is expected to replace Xavi with an official announcement expected next week.


Flick expected to be confirmed as Xavi’s successor (Alex Grimm/Getty Images)

Flick, 59, won the treble with the Bundesliga club in 2019-20 and has been out of work since being sacked by the German national team in September.

The Barca job will be his first outside of Germany in his career.

Xavi’s contract was valid until the summer of 2025 and it remains to be seen what will happen to the financial cost of Xavi and his coaching staff’s departures and their salaries.

A month ago, while his resignation was still valid, Xavi agreed to cancel his salary for the remainder of his contract.

The victory against Almeria earlier this month was Xavi’s 100th match in charge of the club. Only Pep Guardiola and Luis Enrique have better records with the club over the same number of matches.


It was announced that Xavi would stay in April (Lluis Gene/AFP via Getty Images)

Xavi had requested a meeting with Laporta ahead of Sunday’s La Liga match against Rayo Vallecano, with speculation growing over his future, but it did not happen.

Speaking ahead of this match, Xavi said nothing had changed in his position and insisted he still retained the support of Laporta and Deco.

“I can’t add anything new. The club gives me tranquility,” he said. “I remain with the same desire to face what remains for this season and the next. We have a project planned and nothing changes.

When asked where the noise about his future came from, he replied: “I don’t know who’s talking and I don’t care. What matters to me is to have the support of the president, which, to my knowledge, remains intact, and of Deco.

“I am told that nothing has changed. I understand your questions and your work, but this is what I can say. It’s Barcelona, ​​there’s a lot of noise, I understand.

Barcelona secured second place in La Liga before the curtain falls on the 2023-24 campaign at the Ramon Sánchez-Pizjuan Stadium on Sunday.

(David Ramos/Getty Images)

News Source : www.nytimes.com
Gn sports

Back to top button