Woman smoking oxygen at home killed in Haverhill Fire – CBS Boston

HAVERHILL (CBS) — A woman who smoked on oxygen was killed in a fire at a home in Haverhill late Wednesday night.

Flames broke out in a first-floor apartment in Pilling Street around 10 p.m., but firefighters were able to stop it spreading to the rest of the three-storey house.

“As soon as they got there they just started smashing, breaking windows and going straight in,” neighbor Ann Brady told reporters.

The woman killed in the fire has been identified as Holly Quinn, 60.

“It was just mass confusion. I had never seen so many fire engines, ambulances or police on the street before,” neighbor Daniel Crowley said.

“The victim was in the back of the apartment and crews were able to evacuate him from the building. She was transferred to Trinity ambulance and sadly died of her injuries,” the deputy chief said. from firefighters Christopher Link to journalists.

The fire was declared accidental.

“I want to express our deepest condolences to the family and loved ones of the victim following last night’s tragedy,” Haverhill Fire Chief Robert O’Brien said in a statement. “I also want to remind the community that smoking is the leading cause of fire deaths in Massachusetts, and household oxygen smoking is especially dangerous because oxygen makes it easier to start and spread a fire. If you or someone close to you uses home oxygen, please do not smoke.

Ten other people in the house were able to get out safely. The Red Cross found them a place to spend the night.


Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button