Woman and dog die in Abington house fire


Local

A man was hospitalized after the fire.

He scene of a fatal fire at 736 Linwood Road in Abington. One person died and another was injured in a 2-alarm fire on Thursday morning, officials said. Barry Chin/Personal Globe

A 45-year-old woman has died and a man is hospitalized after a fire in Abington on Thursday. Officials said the fire was not suspicious and was likely caused by unspecified electrical equipment in the living room.

Firefighters responded to the fire at 736 Linwood Street at 3:45 a.m. and found the house full of smoke and flames. The victim was later identified as Susan Boerman. A dog also died in the fire.

“On behalf of the Abington Fire Department, I want to express our condolences to the family and loved ones of the victim,” Abington Fire Chief John M. Nuttall said. “Electrical fires are the second leading cause of fatal fires in Massachusetts.”

Nuttall recommends avoiding having electrical cords under carpets or anywhere they could get pinched, such as doorways. Damaged or worn cords should not be used. Phones and tablets should be charged on landline service and remember not to use extension cords or power strips for long periods of time.

“Modern fires are burning faster than they were a few decades ago,” said State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey. “You could have less than three minutes to escape a house fire.”

Ostroskey said it was essential to have smoke detectors on every floor and to develop a plan to evacuate the house if a fire were to occur.



Boston

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button