Comedian, actor and social influencer Russell Brand is accused of – and denies – rape, sexual assault and abuse based on allegations from four women who knew him for seven years at the height of his fame.
In a report published on September 16, the Sunday Times, The Times of London and Channel 4’s “Dispatches” revealed the accusations, which included one woman alleging that Brand had raped her, while three others accused him of of sexual assault.
Brand has denied the allegations, saying all of his relationships were consensual.
The accusations also prompted television networks including the BBC and Channel 4, where Brand, 48, was previously employed as a presenter, to launch internal investigations into his conduct.
Here’s what we know.
BENEFITS DETAILS:Russell Brand’s sexual assault allegations multiply, actor abandoned by his agent and publisher
British media details sexual assault allegations against Russell Brand
The Sunday Times, The Times of London and Channel 4’s “Dispaches” spoke to four women who said Brand raped, sexually assaulted or otherwise abused them between 2006 and 2013, at the height of the “Bring It On” events. the Greek” and “Forgetting Sarah Marshall”. ” the fame of the actor.
The women requested anonymity and were mentioned in the report under pseudonyms.
A woman, called Nadia, accused the comedian of raping her in his Los Angeles home in 2012. According to the report published in the Times of London, medical records showed that she had been treated at a crisis center for rape on the day of the alleged events. incident and attended therapy sessions there for five months, but she refused to file a police report.
A second woman, called Alice, said she had been in an emotionally abusive relationship with Brand for three months in 2006. She was 16 and he was in his early 30s. During this time, Brand allegedly sexually assaulted her once. (The age of consent in the UK is 16.)
A third woman, Phoebe, said she and Brand had a brief sexual relationship that ended when he allegedly sexually assaulted her at her home in early 2013 while they worked on a commercial project. Phoebe said she did not report the incident for fear of a negative impact on her career.
In 2014, Brand’s ex-girlfriend, Jordan Martin, claimed in a self-published book, “kNot: Entanglement with a Celebrity,” that he sexually assaulted her and was physically abusive and emotionally towards him. Martin declined to be interviewed for the investigation but confirmed her story to The Times of London.
After the investigation was published, the Times reported that more women contacted media outlets with allegations about Brand’s behavior dating back to earlier this year.
BBC and Channel 4 launch internal investigation into Russell Brand’s conduct as presenter
The BBC, Channel 4 and production company Banijay UK said they had launched investigations into Brand’s behavior and how complaints were handled.
A BBC spokesperson told CNN on September 18: “Russell Brand worked on BBC radio programs between 2006 and 2008 and we are urgently investigating the issues raised. »
Channel 4 boss Alex Mohan confirmed on Wednesday that the channel had launched an investigation, calling the allegations “horrible” as well as “disgusting and saddening”, she said at the opening of the investigation. Royal Television Society conference, according to Variety and Sky News. “These allegations must of course be followed up further and we, the BBC and Banijay, are investigating.”
Mohan also explained how people can report alleged behavior from Brand. “We will be looking into who knew, who was told what and what was and was not mentioned. But what is clear to me is that terrible behavior towards women has historically been tolerated in our industry.”
Banijay UK said it had launched an “urgent” internal investigation into “alleged serious misconduct by Russell Brand during the presentation of shows produced by Endemol (owned by Banijay UK)” such as “Big Brother’s Big Mouth”, according to the BBC.
In British media reports of Brand’s misconduct, a spokesperson for Banijay said a review of records and correspondence found no record of issues regarding Brand’s behavior having been formally raised.
Will Russell Brand be charged?
It’s still not clear. However, London’s Metropolitan Police said on September 18 that since the allegations became public it had received “a report of a sexual assault believed to have taken place in Soho, central London, in 2003.” .
Police said “officers are in contact with the woman and will provide support.” He did not identify the alleged perpetrator as Brand, but referred to the newspaper and television allegations in his statement.
British Conservative lawmaker Caroline Nokes, who chairs the House of Commons Women and Equalities Committee, urged British and US police to investigate the “incredibly shocking” allegations.
“This deserves and requires a criminal investigation, because for too long we have seen men – and the perpetrators of these kinds of crimes are almost invariably men – not being held accountable for their behavior and their actions,” he said. -she declared on BBC radio.
London’s Metropolitan Police told the Associated Press it would speak to the Sunday Times and Channel 4 to ensure “any victims of crime they have spoken to know how they can report any allegations criminal to the police.
Russell Brand, Katy Perryand why women are expected to comment when men are accused of abuse
If you are a survivor of sexual assault, you can call the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 800.656.HOPE (4673) or visit hotline.rainn.org/online and receive confidential support.
Contributor: Naledi Ushe, USA TODAY; The Associated Press