What we know about the timeline of the Texas school shootings

UVALDE, Texas (KXAN) – As more details emerge after Tuesday’s mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, investigators are beginning to piece together a clearer timeline of the shooter’s actions leading up to the attack .

Salvador Ramos, an 18-year-old from Uvalde, has been identified as the suspect responsible for the murder of at least 19 children and two adults on Tuesday. Ramos was killed by responding officers.

The shooting began around 11:30 a.m. Tuesday, Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District Police Chief Pete Arredondo said. By 12:15 p.m., the entire school district was already on lockdown and Uvalde CISD posted on active shooter situation on social networks.

But before that, Governor Greg Abbott and law enforcement officials said the gunman attacked and shot his grandmother. At around 11 a.m., about 30 minutes before entering the school, the shooter sent the following messages via direct messages, as clarified by a spokesperson for Meta:

  • First message: “I’m going to shoot my grandmother”
  • Second message: “I shot my grandmother”
  • Third message: “I’m going to shoot a primary school”

At 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, Uvalde Memorial Hospital announced it was “treating several students in the emergency room.” A subsequent message just before 3 p.m. confirmed that the UMH had received 13 children by ambulance or bus for treatment. Two children had been transferred to San Antonio, another was awaiting transfer and two people who arrived at UMH died of their injuries.

As of 4 p.m. Tuesday, it had been confirmed that at least 14 children and a teacher had been killed in the shooting. Speaking at a news conference from Abilene, Abbott said the shooter was dead and killed by responding officers. Previously, the Uvalde Police Department said the shooter was in custody.

Abbott explained during his press conference that the CISD Uvalde Police Department will take primary responsibility for the investigation, but will receive investigative and patrol assistance from state resources.

At an afternoon press conference held by Uvalde CISD, Arredondo said it was believed the shooter acted alone and there were no other suspects. He added that the Texas Department of Public Safety was also involved in the investigation.

The Texas Department of Public Safety confirmed just before 7 p.m. Tuesday that the death toll had risen to 18 children and two teachers. At an CISD press conference in Uvalde on Tuesday evening, Superintendent Dr Hal Harrell confirmed that the school year – which was due to end on Thursday – was officially over.

“My heart is broken today,” he said. “We are a small community and we need your prayers to help us get through this.”

The death toll stood at 19 children and two adults, as confirmed around 9 p.m. Tuesday.

During a Wednesday afternoon press conference, Abbott confirmed that the shooter had legally purchased two AR-type rifles shortly after his 18th birthday on May 16, along with 375 rounds of ammunition. Abbott said only one gun was used in the shooting.

Texas DPS Director Steven McCraw said Wednesday that Ramos drove his grandmother’s vehicle and crashed it outside the school. The shooter then exited with a backpack and a rifle and headed for the campus backdoor.

McCraw said a school district police officer approached the shooter, but no shots were exchanged. Ramos then entered the school and went to a two-room connected classroom, where the victims were killed.

A law enforcement official with knowledge of the investigation said Border Patrol agents had difficulty opening the door to the classroom and had to ask a staff member to open the room with a key. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the ongoing investigation.

McCraw explained it was ‘within about 40 minutes’ from when Ramos opened fire on the school security officer to when the SWAT-like border patrol team shot him . Law enforcement officials later said it was unclear whether the shooter and security guard shot each other.

According to Abbott, the shooter had no known criminal or mental health history, but the investigation into his background and possible motive is ongoing.

Abbott said in conversations with members of law enforcement that there was “a mental illness problem in this community.”

“There is an urgent need for everyone affected to have access to mental health,” Abbott said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button