USDA Forest Service to Conduct Prescribed Burns in 4 Alabama National Forests

ALABAMA (WHNT) — Federal fire specialists from the USDA Forest Service will conduct prescribed burns in some of Alabama’s national forests.

Bankhead, Conecuh, Talladega and Tuskegee will see routine burns on approximately 110,586 acres between February and August, weather permitting. These burns are low intensity fires managed by trained personnel.

Burning helps remove excess fuels – like vegetation and dead wood – that would allow the fire to burn longer and longer. Applied appropriately, this can benefit not only the forest, but also the surrounding community and wildlife.

Prescribed burning is an essential management tool used to improve habitat for plants and animals, as well as the resilience of forest landscapes to resist natural problems – drought, insects and disease. The fire is under control and depends on the availability of trained forest service personnel.

Although they make efforts to minimize its impact, the public may notice smoke in various parts of the forests. If smoke is encountered on the road, the USDA urges drivers to use their low beam headlights.

The organization also said it would post updates to Twitter. You can also check their website for any additional information. Just check in the “Know Before You Go” section.

📲 Receive personalized weather alerts directly on your smartphone. Download Live Alert 19!

Below you can find out how many acres are burned, where and who to call if you have questions:

  • Bankhead National Forest – 21,500 acres in Winston and Lawrence counties, call the office at (205) 489-5111.
  • Conecuh National Forest – 41,586 acres in Escambia and Covington counties, call (334) 222-2555.
  • Talladega National ForestTalladega and Shoal Creek Districts – 40,000 acres in Calhoun, Clay, Cleburne and Talladega counties, call the Heflin office at (256) 463-2272 or the Talladega office at (256) 362-2909.
  • Talladega National Forest – Oakmulgee District – 35,000 acres in Bibb, Dallas, Perry, Tuscaloosa, Hale and Chilton counties, call (205) 926-9765.
  • Tuskegee National Forest – 4,000 acres in Macon County, call (334) 727-2652.


Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button