USA News

Up to 8 dead in mass shooting at upstate New York supermarket: law enforcement source


A suspect is in custody, police said.

As many as eight people have died after a mass shooting at a supermarket in Buffalo, New York, a law enforcement official briefed on the incident confirmed to ABC News.

“Several people” were hit by gunfire at a Tops supermarket, the Buffalo Police Department said on social media while urging people to avoid the area.

A suspect is in custody, police said. His condition was not immediately clear.

A man entered the supermarket shortly after 2:30 p.m. and fired a gun, according to the law enforcement official.

The scene is no longer active and there are no other outstanding suspects, the official said.

New York Governor Kathy Hochul said on Twitter she is “closely monitoring” the shooting and that her office has offered assistance to local officials.

Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz also tweeted on Saturday afternoon that he had been “notified of an active multi-shot event” at the supermarket.

ABC News’ Matt Foster contributed to this report.

This is a developing story. Please check for updates.



ABC News

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button