University of Arizona professor shot dead by ex-student

A former student fatally shot a University of Arizona professor inside a building on campus on Wednesday afternoon, according to the school and a report.

The shooter opened fire inside the John W. Harshbarger Building on the University of Tucson’s main campus around 2 p.m., sending the school into lockdown for more than an hour before the suspect was arrested .

The school confirmed in a statement that one person was killed in the shooting. The victim was later identified as a professor who works in the Department of Hydrology, reported.

The suspect, identified as 46-year-old Murad Dervish, was captured by state police around 5 p.m. on Interstate 8 in Gila Bend, more than 100 miles away.

Prior to the shooting, UA Police received a call from someone inside the building reporting that a former student was in the building without proper access and requested that officers come escort the man, according to the police.

Former UA student Murad Dervish allegedly shot and killed a professor on campus on Tuesday.

As police moved towards the building, UA Police received another call indicating that shots had been fired.

“Someone recognized the student and knew he was not allowed to enter the building,” UA Police Chief Paula Balafas told

When police arrived moments later, Dervish had fled the building.

A video shot by showed members of the Tucson Fire Department carrying a man from the building and loading him into an ambulance.

two people kiss after shooting UA
The professor, who has not yet been identified, was transported to an area hospital where he died of his injuries.
University of Arizona police escort students off the premises
The shooting sent the UA campus in Tucson into lockdown for more than an hour.

The victim was taken to Banner-University Medical Center, where he was later pronounced dead, the outlet reported.

A UA faculty member who was in the building at the time of the shooting told he heard between seven and 10 gunshots.

In response to the shooting, students and staff were ordered to shelter in place for over an hour. The lockdown was lifted around 3:30 p.m., according to an update from University Police.

Classes were canceled for the rest of Wednesday, and the university asked staff and students to leave campus or stay in their dorms.

New York Post

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button