Ubisoft and Take-Two also block game sales in Russia


Ubisoft and Take-Two Interactive are suspending game sales in Russia in light of its invasion of Ukraine, joining a growing list of companies that have decided to cut ties with the country (via Engadget).

In an updated blog post, Ubisoft announced its decision to suspend sales in Russia, citing the “unfolding tragedy in Ukraine”. The blog post itself does not go into the details of the ban, but a report from Bloomberg says it includes both physical and digital game sales.

Take-Two has also decided to temporarily block sales and installations of new games in Russia and Belarus. The ban applies to all Take-Two subsidiaries, including 2K Games and Rockstar, the developer behind the Grand Theft Auto series. The news comes about a week before GTA online and GTA V are coming to next-gen consoles.

“We have watched recent events unfold in Ukraine with concern and sadness,” Alan Lewis, vice president of corporate communications and public affairs at Take-Two, said in a statement to The edge. “After careful consideration, last week we decided to halt new sales, installations and marketing support for all of our brands in Russia and Belarus for the time being.”

Last week, EA Games removed Russian and Belarusian teams from its FIFA and NHL games and then completely halted sales of its games and virtual currencies. Activision Blizzard also suspended new sales “of and in” its games on Friday, while Epic Games followed suit a day later. Cyberpunk 2077 Developer CD Projekt Red announced last week that it was also cutting off Russia from digital and physical game sales.


Entertainment

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button