A strike against the three largest automakers in the United States expanded Friday with the announcement of 38 new strike locations targeting Stellantis and General Motors.
United Auto Workers President Shawn Fain made the announcement, saying all parts distribution sites for Stellantis and GM in cities across 20 states will now join the strike.
Ford is moving closer to a deal with the UAW, while GM and Stellantis are not, according to Fain. “But to be clear, we are not done negotiating with Ford yet,” he said Friday. No Ford plants were affected by Fain’s announcement Friday.
The UAW had already been on strike at three factories since September 15.
He warned earlier this week that the deadline for “serious progress” in the union’s negotiations with GM, Ford and Stellantis — often called the “big three” — was set for noon Friday.
“It will mark more than a week since our first members left. And it will mark more than a week in which the ‘big three’ have failed to make progress in negotiations to reach an agreement that would do good of our members,” Fain said in a video message posted to social media Monday evening. “Autoworkers have waited long enough to make things right with the Big Three. We don’t wait and we don’t joke. »
The UAW, which represents nearly 150,000 American auto workers, launched a strike against GM, Ford and Stellantis on September 15. That day, nearly 13,000 workers walked off the job at three auto plants in Michigan, Missouri and Ohio. The union uses a “stand-up” strike method to target specific factories and add them to the list if an agreement is not reached.
The UAW held talks with Ford on September 16, GM on September 17 and Stellantis on September 18, a union source told ABC News. Conversations with Ford were “reasonably productive,” the source said.
Fain on Friday invited President Joe Biden to join the picket line.
“We invite and encourage everyone who supports our cause to join us on the picket line. From our friends and families to the President of the United States, we invite you to join us in our fight,” Fain said. “The way you can help us is to build our movement and show businesses that the public is on our side and they are on the side of our elected national negotiators.
The sticking points in the negotiations were salary increases and the length of the work week. The union is demanding a salary increase of 46% cumulative over the four-year duration of the new contract, as well as a 32-hour work week for 40 hours’ pay. So far, the three Detroit-based companies have each presented proposals offering workers a 20% pay increase over the life of the agreement, while preserving a 40-hour work week.
After an unprecedented strike began, Ford fired 600 workers who were assembling cars at a Michigan factory on September 15. Workers in the paint department of a nearby factory are on strike, leaving assembly workers without adequate parts since the parts require paint. before they can be assembled into cars, a company spokesperson told ABC News.
Biden deployed Acting Labor Secretary Julie Su and White House Senior Advisor Gene Sperling to Detroit to offer support to the parties in reaching a deal.
Economists previously told ABC News that a strike could lead to billions of dollars in losses, supply chain disruption and other financial consequences.
ABC News’ Meredith Deliso, Fritz Farrow, Jolie Lash and Max Zahn contributed to this report.