Tyson Fury is set to return to action early this year after a remarkable 2021 for the Gypsy King.
The Briton retained his WBC belt by beating Deontay Wilder in October for the second time in a row to close their epic heavyweight trilogy.
Fury now has a number of options as he continues a fight against someone other than the Bronze Bomber for the first time since September 2019.
Here’s everything we know so far about his potential next fight …
Tyson Fury’s Next Fight: Date
The 33-year-old will return to the ring in March 2022, whoever he is.
“The goal is for Tyson to come out on March 26,” promoter Frank Warren told IFL TV.
“From our perspective, he should defend his title against Dillian Whyte or something else if he’s there.
“But he wants to fight at the end of March, so that’s where we are.”
Tyson Fury’s next fight: who could he face?
While no opponents are yet confirmed, Fury was ordered by the WBC to defend against Dillian Whyte next.
However, the situation is complicated as Whyte remains in a protracted legal battle with the WBC over his mandatory title shot.
The sanctioning body ruled that the fight would have an 80/20 purse split in favor of Fury, if it were purse offers.
Whyte’s team were campaigning for a 55/45 split and intend to challenge that decision in an arbitration hearing.
As a result, the original stock market offering date of January 11 has now been postponed to the following week.
If a fight with Whyte didn’t happen, Fury could also push for an undisputed showdown with Oleksandr Usyk.
But that could prove to be difficult with the Ukrainian first contracted to defend his unified WBA, IBF and WBO titles in a rematch with Anthony Joshua, who is expected to receive a substantial sum to retire for Fury to face Usyk next.
Another less likely possibility is a one-time crossover with Francis Ngannou, which sparked an exchange on social media.
The WBC champion was recently mentioned by the UFC heavyweight king as a potential future opponent when he inevitably steps up to boxing.
Tyson Fury’s Next Fight: What Has Been Said?
Warren explained the latest news regarding a clash with Whyte on talkSPORT Fight Night: “First of all, the stock market offers have been pushed back a week now.
“The stock market auction will be seven days later. Next Monday [January 17] or Tuesday [January 18].
“Of course they have the right to appeal [the split].
“I don’t think they’ll go anywhere because when you come across these situations the purse offers are based on the boxers’ past earnings…
“For example, over the last couple of years, when Canelo Alvarez’s attorney at the time was going to be Billy Joe Saunders, we just struck a deal.
“There was no way he would get 45% because the guy who makes the most money out of the two is Canelo.
“Anyone who fights Canelo, even as an ‘interim’ champion, will never get 45% of the money.
“And certainly when you have a heavyweight generating the money that Tyson generates, it was an 80/20 split.
“They can make their call. The point is, I don’t think it will make a difference.