Tyson Fury will return to the ring this summer “with or without Anthony Joshua”, assures his father John Fury who warns that “nothing has changed” in talks to finalize the dream of undisputed combat.
WBC champion Fury and IBF, WBA and WBO title holder Joshua are locked in negotiations, which have gripped the boxing world, to ensure a mega-fight that would crown an undisputed leader of the division.
A place and a date are the key issues to be resolved – Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn is in talks with locations in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Singapore, China, America, Dubai and Britain to a fight this summer, but Fury’s dad has now delivered a stern Attention.
“We’ll fight anyway, with or without AJ,” John Fury said. Sky Sports. “We made it clear.
“I hope [Hearn] can do it. He tries, does his best.
“You wouldn’t expect [Fury’s promoters] Bob Arum will be racing all over the world at 90, Frank Warren is 70. Eddie is just a young man! He does a great job, I love his interviews, he’s a good character, his dad can be proud of him.
“I hope he didn’t shoot himself in the foot by letting the cat out of the bag too soon. I think that’s what he did because he wanted to be the one who got it. would announce. “
Fury previously set deadlines for last weekend and for Tuesday, recounting Behind the gloves that “I’ll move on” unless a deal is finalized.
John Fury said: “At 9 p.m. [on Tuesday], Nothing has changed. I know they are working on the back to get it over the line.
“But it’s proving tough for Eddie Hearn. He’s been all over the world trying to sell this fight.
“Nobody wants to invest because now is not the right time for their business. They want to profit from it, but the moment will not allow them to profit from it.
“But the world wants it.
“They were in a rush with it. When you rush a cake, it doesn’t taste good.
“This fight could be made a lot easier, a lot simpler, in the months to come, when people return to easier ways, to normalcy.
“So far, nothing has changed. There are rumors, a lot of rumors, but nothing is set in stone at 9pm. [Tuesday night].
“I told him ‘sit down well’. If they are successful, so much the better. If they don’t …
“The clock ran out last Saturday. If we didn’t want this fight, we wouldn’t be negotiating yet. We want this fight. We will give him every chance to start this fight in June or July.
“We sit tight, waiting for a contract, a place, a date. We will sign. We are ready to go.
“We don’t need a long training camp, we can go in the next five weeks.”
John Fury insisted his undefeated son had no preference in terms of venue.
“Tyson will fight anywhere, with AJ or anyone,” he said. “Wherever they do this fight, Tyson will be happy to oblige them.” This is not a problem.
“Ideally I would like it [in the UK] but I don’t think that will happen. “
Joshua knocked out Kubrat Pulev in December but Fury has already been out of the ring for over a year, since his destruction of Deontay Wilder in February 2019.
His lack of in-ring activity could become problematic unless a deal is made to face Joshua this summer, his father explained.
“If this continues he will need some tune-up fights,” said John Fury. “Inactivity plays a big role in boxing.
“You must have an activity under these lights.
“As a father, I wouldn’t do my job well. I won’t let this happen if my son isn’t there. And if I tell Tyson something, he’ll take it into account.
“If the fight is in June, July or even August, we will take it. But if it happens next year, we have to fight.”
Promoter Hearn once said Sky Sports on weekends: “We are in a great situation with several offers on the table. I am quietly confident.
“We’re almost there. We’ve worked really hard and we don’t want to give in.”
Former heavyweight champion David Haye told Sky Sports earlier Wednesday: “I’ll be surprised if it happens before November. If it happens before November, fantastic.
“Knowing boxing like me, whatever offer they get, it’s going to have to be ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous to get it across the line, and if it crosses the line, God bless them both.”