Two killed in separate pedestrian crashes in Boston, Medford


Police are still investigating both incidents.

Massachusetts State Police are investigating two separate weekend crashes in which pedestrians were fatally struck by cars.

Troopers from State Police-Medford Barracks responded to a crash in the Middlesex Avenue area of ​​Medford shortly before 7 p.m. Sunday.

The pedestrian – identified Monday morning as Walter Wishoski, 77, of Malden – was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The driver, Everton Candido, 18, of Somerville, remained at the scene while troopers investigated. He was later arrested and charged with driving a motor vehicle without a license. It is unclear whether he will face additional costs.

Police say a preliminary investigation indicates Wishoski was crossing westbound Middlesex Avenue when Candido, driving a northbound 2013 Ford Fiesta, fatally struck him.

An investigation is still ongoing, police said.

At approximately 9:40 p.m. Saturday, State Police-Tunnels Barracks and State Police-South Boston Barracks, with assistance from Boston Fire Department and EMS, responded to an accident on Interstate 93 in Boston near the South Bay Mall.

The pedestrian – identified by police on Monday morning as Mark McAuliffe, 49, whose last known permanent address was in Malden – died of his injuries.

Police said a preliminary investigation indicated McAuliffe was attempting to cross I-93 near exit 15 from west to east. They believe he crossed the southbound and median lanes, but was hit by a 2019 Toyota Highlander SUV as he entered the northbound left lane.

The impact of the collision caused McAuliffe to be thrown across the median and into the left lane of southbound traffic, police said.

The driver of the Toyota, a 53-year-old man, immediately pulled over and called 911 to report the incident, police said, adding he cooperated at the scene.

“At this time, there is no indication that the operator was driving recklessly or under the influence of drugs or alcohol,” police said.

No charges have been filed at this time, but the investigation is still ongoing, police said.


Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button