Trussville parents outraged by district’s handling of ‘death note’

TRUSSVILLE, Ala. (WIAT) – Parents at Trussville City Schools packed a city council meeting Tuesday night in panic after a so-called “death note” was found at the high school. The board has pledged to figure out why he went unreported for nearly a year.

Trussville police confirmed earlier today that they did not begin investigating the incident which took place last October until 11 days ago.

Parents shared that they had not received any information directly from the school district to reassure them that their children were going to be safe in class, or even that there was some sort of incident being investigated. .

They filled the annex building of the town hall to the point of not being able to move around the room to share these worries for hours.

Stephanie Moore just heard about the list on September 14 and found out the next day that her son was on it.

She and other parents are calling for the rewriting of a third-party memorandum of understanding dealing with student code of conduct, threat assessment and requiring a change in direction in the district.

“I’m confident these things will happen,” Moore said. “I’ve had three children at Trussville City Schools since 2006. I’ve been a school advocate for many years, but I don’t take this lightly.”

Moore helped set up a meeting several days ago with the police chief and the other 36 families affected by this incident. City leaders have also raised concerns that this has just come to their attention when it happened a year ago. They say they want the citizens of Trussville to feel safe because they have gone to great lengths to provide resources for school resource officers.

“We just want assurance that the plan we have in place, which we think is really good, and how threats are to be dealt with, that we’re sticking to it,” the councilman and public safety liaison said. “That’s what we as a city want to make sure it gets done.”

Council members will meet with school board members and representatives on Wednesday morning at 8 a.m. to bring many of the concerns shared by parents directly to them in order to continue working on a resolution. No member of the school board was present on Tuesday.

Tuesday afternoon the principal of the school was placed on administrative leave.


Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button