Transit police chief’s son charged with murder in connection to fatal Everett shooting


Brian Green, 35, of Saugus was arrested Wednesday and charged with the July 19 death of Jarmahl Sutson, 38, of Lynn.

The MBTA Transit police chief’s son was released on bail on Thursday after pleading not guilty to murder and burglary charges in connection with the shooting death of a 38-year-old man in Everett last month , according to multiple reports from the courtroom.

Brian Green, 35, of Saugus, was arrested on Wednesday and charged with the July 19 death of Jarmahl Sutson of Lynn, a statement from the Middlesex County District Attorney’s Office said.

On the day of the incident, Everett police arrived at a Central Avenue apartment shortly before 4:30 a.m. for an emergency medical report, prosecutors said. Police reported finding the victim unconscious in the bedroom with an apparent gunshot wound.

Investigators quickly learned that Green previously lived in this apartment and “would have been upset about the victim’s relationship with his ex-wife”, who still lived in the residence.

Prosecutors said they identified Green as the suspected shooter using surveillance footage and other evidence.

Green was arrested in Reading this week without incident and arraigned in Malden District Court on Thursday.

He is the son of MBTA Transit Police Chief Kenneth Green.

“This is a personal matter for Chief Green and his family,” the MBTA said in a statement to multiple outlets, including WBZ-TV and The Boston Globe. “The MBTA has confidence in the leadership of Chief Green of the Transit Police. It is inappropriate to comment on the investigation of an outside agency that does not involve the MBTA, and the MBTA will not offer further comment.

Green works for Keolis as a driver on the commuter train, a Keolis spokesperson confirmed to World.

“We are reviewing his employment status and he will be placed on unpaid leave pending the disciplinary process required by his collective agreement,” the spokesperson wrote in an email to World Wednesday night.

The victim’s cousin, Melvin Lark, addressed reporters outside court on Thursday, saying, “He’s my little cousin; sad that we have to be here today, but we have to let the justice system do what it does,” WBZ-TV reported.


Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button