Three IAF officers sacked after missile lands in Pakistan

By PTI IST (Released)


Following the incident, the Ministry of Defense called it “deeply regrettable” while Pakistan lodged a strong protest over it.

Three Indian Air Force officers were sacked on Tuesday for the March 9 accidental firing of a Brahmos missile that landed in Pakistan. An official statement said the officers’ services were terminated after a Court of Inquiry (CoI) found that a deviation from standard operating procedures (SOPs) on their part led to the accidental firing of the missile.

Following the incident, the Ministry of Defense called it “deeply regrettable” while Pakistan lodged a strong protest over it.

“A BrahMos missile was accidentally fired on March 9. A Court of Inquiry (Col), set up to establish the facts of the case, including determining responsibility for the incident, concluded that the deviation from standard operating procedures (SOPs) by three officers led to the accidental firing of the missile,” the statement said.

Read also :

“These three officers were held primarily responsible for the incident. Their services were terminated by the central government with immediate effect. Termination orders were served on the officers on August 23,” it said.

Although the Indian Air Force did not mention the ranks and names of the officials whose services were terminated, it is learned that a group captain is among the three.

The incident took place on March 9 and Pakistan lodged its protest with India the following day. On March 11, the Ministry of Defense said the missile was accidentally fired and landed in Pakistan.

The ministry then said it was caused by a technical malfunction during routine maintenance of the missile, adding that the government took the incident seriously.

Separately, Defense Minister Rajnath Singh told parliament on March 15 that SOPs for the operations, maintenance and inspection of these systems were being revised.

Following the incident, Pakistan summoned the Indian Chargé d’Affaires in Islamabad and told him of its strong protest against the “unprovoked” violation of its airspace by the supersonic “projectile” of Indian origin. .

Major General Babar Iftikhar, director general of Pakistan’s Inter-Service Public Relations (ISPR), said the unarmed projectile entered Pakistani airspace traveling 124 km.

Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry said the “supersonic flying object” entered Pakistan from Suratgarh in India and fell to the ground near the town of Mian Channu, causing damage to civilian property.

Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry also called for a thorough and transparent investigation into the incident and demanded that its outcome be shared with Islamabad.


Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button