Arguing for the reinstatement of a warrant of silence barring Donald Trump from mentioning the law clerk involved in his $250 million civil fraud trial, court officials on Wednesday detailed what they described as a “deluge” of threats targeting the law clerk after the former president complained about her. on social networks.
In a filing supporting the end of a temporary pause on the silence order, a New York State Department of Public Safety officer said the judge presiding over the case, Arthur Engoron, had already is the subject of harassment and threats on social networks. which were deemed “credible” before the start of the trial in early October.
These threats prompted court officials to work with “the FBI and Homeland Security to design appropriate security measures that would be implemented to protect the judge, his office staff, and those closely associated with his entourage , including his family,” Charles Hollon said. who works in the Department of Public Safety’s Judicial Threat Assessment Unit, said in the filing.
Then, on the second day of the trial, Trump posted a message on Truth Social identifying Engoron’s top lawyer and falsely claiming she had a relationship with Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y. Although Trump himself did not threaten her, Hollon said “comments made in his post resulted in hundreds of threatening and harassing voicemails that were transcribed into more than 275 single-spaced pages.”
A lawyer for Trump did not immediately respond to a request for comment Wednesday evening.
Hollon went on to say that the employee’s “personal information, including her personal cell phone number and personal email addresses, was also compromised, resulting in daily doxing.” She was subjected to daily harassment, derogatory comments, and anti-Semitic tropes. “Specifically, the employee receives 20 to 30 calls per day on her personal cell phone and 30 to 50 messages per day on social media and personal emails combined, Hollon said.
Since an appeals court temporarily lifted the silence orders last week, about half of the harassing and denigrating messages to the law clerk were anti-Semitic, Hollon wrote. He said he viewed the threats against the judge and clerk “as serious and credible and not hypothetical or speculative.”
The pause on Engoron’s silence order will remain in effect at least until Monday, when Trump’s final filing is expected and the appeals court will be free to decide the issue.
The Office of Judicial Administration, on behalf of Engoron, and the state attorney general’s office, which brought the fraud case against Trump, are asking the appeals court to reimpose the hush order .
Trump is also engaged in a legal battle over a silence order in the federal election interference case against him in Washington, DC. A panel of federal appeals court judges heard the arguments this week and indicated in their questions that they might leave the silence ban in place. while reducing its scope. The appeals court has not yet ruled on this case.