Skip to content
The Hundred: Australians David Warner and Marcus Stoinis withdraw from tournament |  Cricket News


Both players have been named to Australia’s preliminary squads for the White Ball tours to the West Indies and Bangladesh, which collide with The Hundred’s July-August window; Replacement foreign players will now be signed by Southern Brave before the competition begins on July 21.

Last updated: 06/11/21 7:01 am

Australian duo David Warner and Marcus Stoinis were scheduled to play for Southern Brave in this summer’s inaugural tournament

Australian drummer David Warner and versatile Marcus Stoinis have pulled out of The Hundred’s inaugural season due to complications from the coronavirus, the ECB has said.

Both players have been named to Australia’s preliminary squads for the white ball tours to the West Indies and Bangladesh, which collide with The Hundred’s July-August window.

Warner and Stoinis had contracts worth £ 100,000 and £ 80,000 respectively with the Southern Brave for The Hundred, due to start next month.

“It is obviously disappointing to lose players with the capabilities of David and Marcus, but the realities of COVID mean that there are practical issues that are difficult for some foreign players to overcome,” the ECB said in a statement.

“The replacement foreign players will be signed by Southern Brave, and we look forward to The Hundred presenting world-class cricket this summer.”

The ECB has invested heavily in the competition, hoping to attract a young and diverse audience to the sport with matches featuring 100 balls per set with a change of ends after 10 deliveries.

The competition, which was postponed last year due to the pandemic, will kick off on July 21 with a women’s match between Oval Invincibles and Manchester Originals before the men’s competition begins a day later.

The remainder of the tournament will then see double heads with women’s and men’s matches on Ladies’ Day.

Watch The Hundred live on Sky Sports Cricket starting July 21!

.



Source link