An Illinois teenager walking on transit tracks in the Chicago area was electrocuted after falling, officials said.
Samantha Cerrone, a 16-year-old teenager from Winnetka, ventured onto the tracks of the Chicago Transit Authority in Evanston with a friend who was sleeping early Wednesday morning, the Chicago Sun-Times reported. Then she tripped on the third rail, the newspaper reported.
The third rail is electrified with 600 volts used to move trains, a level of electricity that is “almost always fatal,” according to the CTA.
Samantha’s friend attempted to pull her off the rails and suffered burns requiring hospitalization, WLS reported.
Samantha was pronounced dead shortly after, the outlet reported.
Evanston Police Cmdr. Ryan Glew told WBBM that Samantha and her friend entered the tracks in an area that was not elevated.
She was a sophomore at New Trier High School and a member of a New Trier Aquatics swim team.
“It is with a heavy heart that I share the news that one of our second year students, Samantha Cerrone, has died following a tragic accident,” wrote Denise Dubravec, director of the New Trier campus. Winnetka, in an e-mail to students and employees, the Sun- Time reported. “Our thoughts, prayers and love are with her parents and all of her friends and family during this extremely difficult time.”
In an Instagram post, New Trier Aquatics described Samantha as a “reserved and determined young woman” who was “often seen clapping at the end of the road for her teammates.”
“Sam was supportive, kind and compassionate. She had a quirky sense of humor that was reflected in her unique fashion sense and a deep love for her friends, ”the team said on Instagram. “Her shy but bright smile every time she set a better time or hit a goal in the pool was both endearing and inspiring in her subtle way. There is no doubt that she will be missed in and out of the pool.
Teenager dies of electric shock from extension cord submerged in water, Texas Sheriff says