Tecno has already launched a very intriguing foldable smartphone – the Phantom V Fold – so it was almost a surprise to see the manufacturer unveil the Phantom V Flip. This is an addition to the V series with a unique version of the cover display.
The Tecno Phantom V Flip looks like your typical modern flip phone: an edge-to-edge foldable OLED on the inside, a cool design on the outside with a sleek metal hinge, and a small screen cover for notifications and widgets.
The exterior of the V Flip is covered in vegan leather, but what makes it unique is the round OLED cover, which is surrounded by a black round bezel that houses the cameras and flash. This is a rare arrangement that will surely make the V Flip recognizable among its peers.
The Phantom V Flip has a foldable 6.9-inch LTPO OLED display inside, a premium panel with a 120Hz dynamic refresh rate, 360Hz touch sampling, and support HDR10. The cover screen is a 1.32-inch AMOLED with a density of 352ppi.
The V Flip runs on the Dimensity 8050 5G chipset, which is an upper mid-range chipset that has already shown promising gaming potential. The V Flip will be sold in a memory configuration – 8GB LPDDR4X RAM with 256GB UFS3.1 storage.
Tecno is known for its premium camera experience and offers a few niceties such as a 64 MP primary camera with an RGBW sensor and a 13 MP secondary camera for ultra-wide photos that supports auto focus and can take macro photos. The selfie camera uses a 32MP Tetracell sensor and supports autofocus!
Other notable specs include stereo speakers, a 4,000mAh battery with 45W wired charging, and a side-mounted fingerprint scanner.
Here is the complete technical sheet:
Tecno Phantom V Flip specifications at a glance:
- Body: 171.7 x 74.1 x 6.9mm, 194g; Plastic front (open), leather back, steel hinge, aluminum frame;.
- Display: 6.90″ LTPO AMOLED foldable, 120 Hz, 1000 nits (peak), resolution 1080 x 2640 px, aspect ratio 22:9, 413 ppi; Cover screen: AMOLED, 1.31 in, 360 x 360 px, 352 ppi, 800 nits.
- Chipset: MediaTek Dimensity 8050 (6nm): Octa-core (1 x 3.0 GHz Cortex-A78 and 3 x 2.6 GHz Cortex-A78 and 4 x 2.0 GHz Cortex-A55); Mali-G77 MC9.
- Memory: 256 GB 8 GB RAM; UFS 3.1.
- Operating system/software: Android 13, HiOS 13.5.
- Rear camera: Large (main): 64 MP, f/1.7, 25mm, 1/1.73″, 1.6µm, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 13 MP, 1.12µm, f/2.2, PDAF.
- Front camera: 32 MP, f/2.45, 24mm (width), 0.8µm, PDAF.
- Video capture: Rear camera: 4K at 30 fps, 1080p at 30/60 fps, HDR; Front camera: 1440p at 30 fps, 1080p at 30/60 fps.
- Battery: 4000mAh; 45W wired, 50% in 15min (advertised).
- Connectivity: 5G; Wi-Fi 6; BT 5.2; NFC.
- Miscellaneous : Fingerprint reader (side mounted); stereo speakers;
There’s little missing from this new flip phone and probably the most notable omission is any sort of penetration protection. We assume this is reserved for flagship foldables, especially those coming from Korea.
Unboxing the Tecno Phantom V Flip
The Tecno Phantom V Flip comes in a fairly large box that holds a lot. First, you get the phone, of course. Next, you’ll find a 45W power adapter and a USB-C-to-A cable.
The retail bundle also contains a super cool case with a metal ring. Although this case looks a lot like the ones Samsung sells for the Z Flip5, this one features two separate shells connected by a piece of vegan leather. And that same ribbon contains the large metal ring that you can use to hold the phone on your finger or maybe hang it on something for reasons.