David Moyes has excluded West Ham from the race to sign Chelsea forward Tammy Abraham.
Abraham is seen as one of Moyes’ main summer targets as he tries to boost his strike force.
But the Hammers boss says Abraham’s announced price tag of £ 40million means the 23-year-old is well beyond his reach.
“It would exclude us completely. We will be excluded,” Moyes said. “So if that’s the number and that’s what it says, we’re left out.
“We don’t have that money, we don’t have that to buy a striker at this price, no.
“Is that kind of a number our total expense? That might be true. But you never know here.
“I don’t think we’ll make this a one-player buy. I’d be surprised if we were.”
Moyes could have his only recognized striker Michail Antonio back for Monday night’s trip to Burnley, live Sky Sports Premier League.
West Ham are heading to Turf Moor after losses to Newcastle and Chelsea, but still looking for a top-four spot.
“We can’t afford to lose too many points,” Moyes said.
“Maybe we could have taken a point from Newcastle and maybe with a bit of luck we could have gotten a point from Chelsea so maybe we’re a point or two down.
“We have five games to go, we’re on 55 points, so the idea is that when we have a big number six in front of that, that would give me a start and see what we could do.
“I would love to come into the last two games with 60 points, it would give me a real chance to get a good point total.
“We have to go to Burnley and play well. It’s been a tough hunting ground for us the last few seasons so we’re going to try to put on a good show and get a result.
“We beat them earlier in the season, but it was a very close game. We have to go up there and start over.”