State halts plans for elaborate Castle Island event


Local

“Summer Splash” was scheduled for June 23, but organizers didn’t apply for a permit.

Castle Island was set to host a controversial event this summer, before the state shut it down for lack of proper permits. John Tlumacki/Globe Team

Shortly after tickets sold out for a flashy party on Castle Island, the event was halted by the state this week.

The event, known as Summer Splash, was scheduled for June 23, NBC 10 Boston reported. Tickets were selling for $25 and guests were going to have access to live music, dunk tanks and water balloon fights, according to Caught in Southie.

When the flyer hit social media, residents immediately expressed their confusion to lawmakers, especially Sen. Nick Collins and State Rep. David Biele. Residents were confused because Castle Island closes at 8 p.m. and the event was advertised as running until 11 p.m. They also wondered how the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) could issue a permit for a for-profit event, according to Caught in Southie.

Turns out DCR didn’t issue any permits for the event, and the organizers advertised anyway. When contacted about the event, a DCR spokesperson confirmed that the department learned about Summer Splash from social media posts. A DCR permit was not even requested by the organizer, they added.

DCR then contacted the event organizer to advise that they were not permitted to hold an event on Castle Island, the spokesperson said. The organizers then told DCR that they were canceling their plans to host the event and would notify anyone who had already received correspondence about it. The spokesperson did not name the organizer of the event.

The incident echoes a similar situation that surrounded an event known as Fright Island, which was planned for the same area, NBC 10 Boston reported. This Halloween-centric event reportedly lasted an entire month and included a variety of outdoor “scary zones,” a carnival, and more.

He was introduced to the DCR, but local residents sent letters, emails and held community meetings in opposition, NBC reported. Public safety and improper use of a historic landmark such as Fort Independence were cited as reasons for canceling the event.



Boston

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button