The Premier League returns to the fold with another round of important fixtures this weekend as Mikel Arteta’s Arsenal take on Southampton at St. Mary’s Stadium on Saturday.
Preview of Southampton v Arsenal
Arsenal currently sit fifth in the Premier League table and are engaged in an intriguing battle for a place in the top four. The Gunners suffered a shocking 2-1 loss to Brighton & Hove Albion in their previous game and cannot afford a similar debacle this weekend.
Southampton, on the other hand, currently sit 14th in the table and have been plagued with inconsistencies this year. The Saints suffered a 6-0 thrashing against Chelsea last week and will need to work hard to avoid another defeat in this game.
Head to head Southampton vs Arsenal and key figures
- Arsenal have an impressive record against Southampton and have won 53 of the 103 games played between the two sides, compared to Southampton’s 22 wins.
- Southampton have a poor recent record at home against Arsenal and have lost their last two matches against the Gunners at St. Mary’s Stadium.
- Arsenal have lost just one of their last 12 Premier League games against Southampton and could claim their first league double against Saints in more than five years.
- Since 2016, Southampton have scored the opening goal in seven of their 11 games against Arsenal but have only managed to win one of those seven games.
- Southampton have scored a total of 10 goals in their last three Premier League home games – as many as they have conceded in the 13 home games preceding this run.
- Arsenal have lost consecutive Premier League matches this month and lost three in a row in their poor start to the season in August last year.
Prediction Southampton vs Arsenal
Arsenal have suffered a definite downfall over the past week and have a lot of work to do to secure their top-four finish. As Tottenham pick up the pace, the Gunners have their work cut out towards the end of the season.
Southampton have struggled so far this year and were beaten by Chelsea last week. Arsenal are the best team right now and should be able to win this game.
Prediction: Southampton 1-3 Arsenal
Southampton vs Arsenal Betting Tips
Tip 1: Result – Arsenal
Tip 2: Game to have more than 2.5 goals – Yes
Tip 3: Arsenal will score first – Yes
Tip 4: Bukayo Saka scores – Yes