Skip to content
Six people arrested after clashes between Hungarian supporters and police and a “racist abuse steward”



Six people were arrested at Wembley Stadium on Tuesday evening as racist abuse and violent clashes with police marred the World Cup qualifier between England and Hungary.

Two other fans were arrested inside the stadium for the alleged assault of a police officer.

Metropolitan Police said the problem was “minor”, although a large group of officers used batons in an attempt to control clashes with supporters.

There were three other arrests in the lobby and off the ground – for brawl, drunkenness and disorderly behavior and one for suspicion of voyeurism.

A statement from the Met after the game read: “As the officers proceeded with the arrest, minor unrest erupted involving other spectators. Order was quickly restored.

There were warning signs of trouble ahead of kick-off when some fans in the away section booed the England players for kneeling and held up a sign opposing the anti-racism move .

FIFA has condemned the violence and discrimination and is investigating the problems, which arose in the second home game since thousands of ticketless fans stormed Wembley for the Euro 2020 final, for which the FA is doing still under investigation.

There were issues elsewhere in Group I as well, as Poland’s match against Albania in Tirana had to be put on hold when home fans threw coins and bottles onto the pitch after the visitors took over. advantage. Poland won 1-0.

In a statement, FIFA said: “We are analyzing reports from last night’s World Cup qualifying matches to determine the most appropriate action. FIFA strongly condemns the incidents England against Hungary and Albania against Poland and our position remains firm and resolute in rejecting all forms of violence as well as all forms of discrimination or abuse.

“We have a clear zero tolerance position against such heinous behavior.”

The FA, which are confident enough that police and security were on hand for the event, launched their own investigation and reported the incidents to FIFA, which had a delegation present at Wembley.

Last night’s ugly scenes were the latest in a string of incidents involving Hungarian fans. Hungary has been ordered to play home games behind closed doors by FIFA and UEFA for racist and homophobic abuse in recent months, while it has also been fined over £ 158,000 by global governing body in September.

There were racist and homophobic incidents during the Euro 2020 matches in Budapest, while England players suffered racist abuse in their 4-0 win at Puskas Arena last month.

Tyrone Mings has called on FIFA to make sure the sanction matches the crime after England players were booed for taking the knee before the game started, which ended in a 1-1 draw.

“We have made it clear why we want to continue taking the knee and we are determined to continue to do so,” said the Aston Villa defender.

“We have faced negative reactions before, criticism and we have stood collectively. It doesn’t change based on banners, people’s opinions, or opposition to what we stand for. It doesn’t matter to me.

“Whenever we talk about racial abuse, the punishments that follow never seem to be in keeping with what happened.

“But I can’t speak too freely unless I know the facts. I sincerely hope that if it does, the punishment will apply.