Skip to content
Sheryl Underwood breaks silence after Sharon Osbourne leaves ‘the Talk’


Sheryl Underwood has spoken publicly for the first time after last month’s heated exchange with co-host Sharon Osbourne, who left CBS daytime show “The Talk” following a network review of the incident.

In a three-part podcast series, “Sharon Walks Away,” Underwood said she and Osbourne haven’t spoken to each other. ‘The Talk’ has been on hiatus since Osbourne shouted at Underwood while defending his friend and British TV personality Piers Morgan, who has come under fire for attacks on Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex.

“Have you spoken to Sharon Osbourne since the last time you were together on set?” James Kelley, co-host of the podcast, asked Underwood.

“No, OK, I looked into my phone,” she said. “No. I can go as far back as I can. No.”

Osbourne spokesman Howard Bragman shared a screenshot of a text Osbourne appeared to send to Underwood on March 12 to apologize for his behavior on the show. NBC News was unable to independently verify whether the texts were authentic.

When the show aired on March 10, Osbourne said she should not be criticized for supporting her Morgan, a longtime criticism of Meghan and her husband Prince Harry. Underwood, who is Black, gently pushed back and asked if his defense “gives validation or a safe haven” to his “racist” statements, even though she disagreed.

Osbourne told Underwood to “teach him” when she said “racist things”. Osbourne later tweeted an explanation and issued a public apology to respond to his statements on the show.

“To anyone of color I’ve offended and / or anyone who feels confused or disappointed with what I’ve said, I’m so sorry,” Osbourne said. “I’m not perfect, I’m still learning like all of us and will continue to learn, listen and do better.”

Underwood said the apology left him with a “strange” feeling.

“The problem for me is a matter of trust,” she said. “I don’t want to add to the gossip in a negative way that we don’t come up with positive solutions and confidence, growth and evolution.”

Underwood also said she apologized to Osbourne both on air and after the show for her role in his exit, “intentionally or not,” and she regrets how the incident turned out. is unrolled.

“There is nothing I could have ‘just would have’ – it was going to happen, out of my control,” she said.

Going forward, Underwood said she had no ill will towards Osbourne and his family.

“Remember when I said, ‘I don’t know you’re a racist. I know you do the job and are traveling, “” Underwood said, referring to his comments at the end of the on-air exchange with Osbourne. “I still love the Osbournes, as far as I know.”

However, she added that she was “disappointed” with the way Osbourne was treating her.

“I’m trying to understand my feelings about it because it was trauma. Remember, I said I was PTSD, in shock, in slow motion,” Underwood said.

She said she appreciated the way CBS handled the incident. Network officials have previously said they are “identifying plans to improve production staff and produce procedures to better serve hosts, production and ultimately our viewers.”

“I was pleasantly surprised to get to the bottom of it, so we can fix it,” Underwood said.

“The Talk” is scheduled to return on April 12.





Source link