Skip to content
Sheff United 2 – 0 Millwall

Sheffield United cruised past Millwall to pick up their first points of the new season with a convincing 2-0 victory at Bramall Lane.

First-half goals from Iliman Ndiaye and Sander Berge sealed victory for Paul Heckingbottom’s men, who failed to score a third goal before the break when Oliver Norwood saw his penalty saved.

The result sees the Blades bounce back from their Matchday 1 loss to Watford, while Millwall tasted defeat for the first time this campaign.

Norwood took a chance with a speculative effort from the halfway line early in the game as United looked to take control, but his attempt floated over the crossbar.

However, the hosts were ahead soon after as Ndiaye gave them a seventh-minute lead.

Iliman Ndiaye celebrates Sheffield United’s goal

Wes Foderingham’s long ball was missed by two Millwall defenders, sending Ndiaye through on goal and he slotted the ball into the bottom left corner.

United dominated the first 15 minutes, moving the ball well and not allowing Millwall to advance.

New Blades signing Anel Ahmedhodzic had a chance to make it 2-0 after receiving the ball down the right side, but his attempt was blocked by Bartosz Bialkowski in the Millwall goal.

A second United goal was soon to come, however, with Berge doubling their lead in the 22nd minute.

During a quick counterattack, John Fleck sent the ball to Berge who rounded the keeper and headed home.

Fleck had his own chance when the ball came to him quickly in the box, but he couldn’t get in place and his shot went over the bar.

The Blades had the chance to make it 3-0 in the 43rd minute when Rhian Brewster was knocked down in the box by Jake Cooper.

However, Norwood had his penalty saved by Bialkowski, with the keeper guessing correctly by diving to his right.

It saw the score stay 2-0 at half-time, with the Blades looking the better side by far and Millwall failing to register a shot on target in the opening 45 minutes.

The Blades resumed their attack on Millwall’s goal in the second half and Ahmedhodzic tried his luck from the edge of the box only to see his shot go wide of the post.

Millwall responded and Murray Wallace scored a header from a corner, but it was an easy take for Foderingham.

Wallace had another try from a set piece when he attacked the ball at the back post, but his volley went over the crossbar.

Millwall kept pushing for a lifeline and George Saville found himself in space just inside the box when the ball fell on his volley. However, he didn’t connect well with the ball and also missed the target.

Ciaran Clark fired wide of the post for the first time just inside the box for the Blades as the home side sought to dash any lingering hopes of Millwall.

An altercation between Rhys Norrington-Davies and Wallace had to be cooled down by the referee in stoppage time, with both players receiving yellow cards.

Sky Sports

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.