WILMINGTON, North Carolina – Charleston rallied from a 3-1 deficit to edge past UNCW, 4-3, in the women’s regular season tennis final for both teams on Saturday at UNCW courts.
Playing the second of consecutive games against each other to close out the regular roster, the two Colonial Athletic Association rivals faced off in a home-and-away match that was decided by a tiebreaker at No. 5 in singles.
The surging Cougars won their fourth in a row to improve to 18-6 overall, including 3-4 on the road. The Seahawks closed their home schedule with an 8-3 record on the UNCW courts and are 12-6 at the CAA Championships next weekend.
UNCW won the point in doubles to take an early 1-0 advantage, then took a 3-1 lead before the Cougars won the last three off-court singles matches to move to 22-5 for life against the Seahawks.
UNCW won the doubles point for 14and time and took a 1-0 lead when the No. 1 tandem of Sacha Belaya and Lauren Gish cut Halli Trinkle and Slade Coetzee of CofC, 7-5.
After a loss at the No. 2 position to open singles play, the Seahawks built a 3-1 advantage after Rachel Martinsen prevailed over Victoria Walter, 6-2, 6-2, in singles No. 6 and Belaya outlasted Coetzee, 3-6, 6-1, 6-4m, topping the lineup.
The Cougars, however, burst in with singles wins No. 4, No. 3 and No. 5 to secure the game.
Charleston 4, UNCW 3
April 23, 2022 | UNCW Courts | Wilmington, North Carolina
1. Sacha Belaya (UNCW) def. Slade Coetzee (COFC), 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
2. Halli Trinkle (COFC) defeated. Zoe Huffman (UNCW), 6-4, 6-1
3. Maja Jekauc (COFC) defeated. Brinley Bell (UNCW), 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
4. Kate Earnhardt (COFC) def. Lauren Gish (UNCW), 7-6 (7-4), 7-5
5. Elizabeth Nowak (COFC) def. Stele Joksimovic (UNCW), 6-0, 4-6, 7-6 (7-4)
6. Rachel Martinsen (UNCW) def. Victoria Walter (COFC), 6-2, 6-2
1. Sacha Belaya/Lauren Gish (UNCW) def. Halli Trinkle/Slade Coetzee (COFC), 7-5
2. Kate Earnhardt/Clara Errard (COFC) defeated. Zoe Huffman/Maddy Muller-Hughes (UNCW), 6-2
3. Brinley Bell/Anna Daniels (UNCW) def. Maja Jekauc/Elizabeth Nowak (COFC), 6-4
Finishing order: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,6,1,4,3,5)