LOS ANGELES, Calif .– New fines for shipping containers left at the docks at Long Angeles and Long Beach ports have been postponed for a second time to November 29, as there have been signs of progress in the cargo crisis.
Earlier this month, authorities were able to postpone the imposition of fines – $ 100 per container after nine days, increasing by $ 100 each day – to November 22 due to a 26% reduction in the number of such containers. , as the owners rushed to collect them. rather than paying the penalties. Now the Seafaring news from Seatrade reports, the number of such containers has decreased by 33%:
Both ports said the continued improvement in the number of long-lasting containers in port yards meant that the $ 100 per container per day living fee would not be introduced until November 29 at the earliest.
The charges worked out with the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Biden-Harris Supply Chain Disruption Task Force were originally scheduled to be introduced on November 15, but were delayed until November 22, as the situation at both terminals gateways began to improve.
Since the charge was announced on October 25, the two ports have said they have seen a 33% reduction in “aging containers” at the docks.
The number of ships waiting to dock in San Pedro Bay has also declined, from a record high last week of 83 at anchor to 61 at anchor this week.
Joel B. Pollak is Senior Editor at Breitbart News and the host of Breitbart News Sunday on Sirius XM Patriot Sunday evenings from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. ET (4 p.m. to 7 p.m. PT). He is the author of the recent eBook Ni Free ni Fair: The 2020 US Presidential Election. His latest book, RED NOVEMBER, tells the story of the 2020 Democratic presidential primary from a conservative perspective. He is the 2018 Robert Novak Journalism Alumni scholarship recipient. Follow him on Twitter at @joelpollak.