Haas has confirmed Mick Schumacher was conscious after being involved in a horrific high-speed crash ahead of the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix.
The Haas F1 team has confirmed that its driver, 23-year-old German Mick Schumacher, is conscious after being involved in a terrifying high-speed car crash at Jeddah’s Corniche circuit ahead of the second race of Sunday of the Formula 1 season in Saudi Arabia. Arabia.
Schumacher, the son of F1 icon Michael, was on a hot lap in stage two of qualifying when he lost control of his Haas VF22 at Turn 12 in Jeddah, hitting a wall to his left before to stop against the opposite barrier. .
His car was badly damaged in the accident, losing both tires on the right side. Television footage also showed the immediate concern of the Haas team and its pit crew just seconds after the crash. His car was estimated to be traveling at around 150 miles per hour at the time of the accident.
Schumacher was quickly removed from the car and transferred to an ambulance.
An early statement from Haas said: “We heard he is conscious and heading to the medical center.”
In another update, Haas said they “can confirm that Mick looks fine physically.”
“He spoke to his mother, etc..”
Schumacher’s accident is the latest in a series of increasingly long incidents ahead of Sunday’s Grand Prix. The race was thrown into question early on Saturday when a missile attack hit a fuel depot just six miles from the racecourse, while a fire marshal was also removed from his position for writing a message on social media in which he said he hoped Lewis Hamilton would be involved in a fire accident.
Schumacher was also involved in an accident during the 2021 iteration of the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix.
Jeddah’s Corniche circuit has been criticized by some Formula 1 drivers for its lack of safety, with many pointing to its limited visibility, high-speed corners and tight barriers as potential hazards.
Former Haas rider Nikita Mazepin was also involved in a high-speed accident at the track last year.
George Russell, who is Lewis Hamilton’s team-mate at Mercedes, has previously called the track “recipe for disaster”.
“It’s a great track to drive, but it’s a bit of a recipe for disaster,” he said.
“An overhaul is definitely needed and if we come back here next year, which I guess we are, I think there are things they need to change to make those kinks right because it’s so blind. We’ve already seen too many incidents waiting to happen.”
You can share this story on social media: