Sale 30-27 Bath: Arron Reed’s last-minute try wins hosts Gallagher Premiership | Rugby Union News

Arron Reed scored a last-minute try to hand Sale a dramatic victory over Bath in the Gallagher Premiership; Bath had overturned a 22-3 deficit to lead to Reed’s decisive score

Last update: 27/01/23 23:04

Sale’s Arron Reed scored a last-minute try

Arron Reed scored a last-minute try as Sale secured a dramatic 30-27 Gallagher Premiership victory over a resilient Bath side that saw three players receive yellow cards at the AJ Bell Stadium.

Visiting captain Ben Spencer’s 17 points had Bath on edge as they fought back from 22-3 down to lead 27-25 before Reed dove into the corner.

First-half tries from Joe Carpenter, Sam Dugdale, Tom Roebuck and Tommy Taylor had given the hosts control, although Niall Annett’s try just at half-time gave the visitors some hope.

Jonathan Joseph’s try continued the fightback and – despite yellow cards to Max Ojomoh and Cameron Redpath – Spencer’s conversion of his own try saw the visitors lead, only for Reed to score late to snatch all five points.

Bath’s evening at the AJ Bell Stadium got off to a dreadful start with Will Butt sent off for dangerous play as full-back Carpenter attempted to claim a high ball with barely a minute on the clock.

With the man advantage, Sale quickly took the lead. Scrum-half Gus Warr kicked grubber behind the visitors’ defense with Carpenter winning the ball race and diving over the top.

Spencer’s penalty past the posts made it 5-3 after five minutes, but the Sharks forwards made full use of their mighty driving maul to score three more tries and earn a bonus point after just 32 minutes.

The Dugdale flanker found little resistance from the Bath defense as he passed after 17 minutes, Robert Du Preez scoring his 100th appearance for the hosts with a successful conversion.

Another five-yard lineout 10 minutes later was stopped only for Jean-Luc Du Preez to spot an empty blindside where Roebuck had a clear run to the try line for the Sharks’ third down.

The try bonus point came before the break of a successful second maul, this time it was Taylor who fought his way through to give Sale a 22-3 lead.

Annett cut the deficit with the final half game as Bath’s pack got their revenge with a successful driving maul.

The visitors were back within a score when Spencer’s kick was collected by Joseph, who had the pace to run clear.

Center Ojomoh became Bath’s second player in the sin bin before Du Preez struck a penalty to make it 25-17 with half an hour remaining.

Redpath joined Ojomoh in the trash can as he tackled Tom O’Flaherty without the ball, but another Spencer penalty plus a converted try for the scrum-half put the away team ahead 27-25.

Du Preez missed two long-range penalties in the closing minutes as the tension mounted, but the Sharks kept their composure to send Reed into the corner with the game’s final play.

Sky Sports

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button