Skip to content

Motherwell was turned down by the post as they delivered a much improved performance in a scoreless clash with St Mirren at Paisley.

Devante Cole saw her film hit the inside of the post as Motherwell pushed for a winner in the final half hour.

Graham Alexander’s side shifted the last two Scottish Premiership by five points with a much more competitive performance having conceded seven goals in their previous two matches.

Jon Obika threatened for St Mirren after an uneventful first half, but Motherwell limited the pressure.

The draw gives St Mirren two points ahead of Dundee United in the race for a top-six spot.

Motherwell brought Stephen O’Donnell back from suspension and Allan Campbell rocked an illness, while Steven Lawless returned to the bench as their absentee list fell to 12 after Saturday’s 3-0 loss to St Johnstone. Jordan roberts
received a start in their tri-fold front row.

St Mirren surprised everyone by bringing back Jamie McGrath and Jake Doyle-Hayes after an injury.

Motherwell had just one shot on goal in a one-sided game against the Perth Saints and they quickly produced the intensity and commitment that Alexander demanded in response.

Motherwell’s pressing gave them several chances to shoot from a distance, with Barry Maguire coming in closest in the first half.

Goalmouth action remained scarce however with St Mirren in particular struggling to enter the advanced areas. Goalkeeper Jak Alnwick appeared to be taking matters into his own hands, shooting a free kick into his own half. The ball
very wide trundled.

Motherwell’s skipper Tony Watt remained on his feet as he faced Conor McCarthy’s awkward challenge on the penalty bench, but his reduction split two teammates.

Alexander was booked for a comment following one of referee Kevin Clancy’s many decisions that mystified both benches.

St Mirren got the first effort on target at half-time, but Liam Kelly easily held Joe Shaughnessy’s lead 18 yards.

The hosts took less than 60 seconds of the second half to eclipse any first-half action as Ilkay Durmus came down on the outside and delivered a low cross that Obika swept to the bottom corner. Kelly is well down to stop.

Campbell had a few off-target strikes before Cole created a chance by beating McCarthy for rhythm. The Saints defenseman again issued a risky challenge to the penalty box before Cole stood up and saw his shot saved by Alnwick.

The keeper denied Cole again after a hesitant defense and Motherwell continued to advance with long-range off-target strikes before coming close to goal with 15 minutes remaining.

Cole got the slightest kick into Roberts’ deflected and unstable corner and the ball bounced back inside the post and into Alnwick’s arms.

A heavy downpour made the final stages more difficult and St Mirren produced his own pressure with substitute Kyle McAllister seeing a deflected shot.

Source link