Skip to content
Sacramento shooting: The suspect is due in court as a complex investigation continues.  Here’s what we know


Dandrae Martin, who has been identified as a “related suspect”, is due in court on Tuesday after being convicted of assault and unlawful possession of firearms, police say.

Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert noted in a statement posted online that Martin, 26, has not been charged with homicide. She said she believed authorities would eventually arrest more people.

“The investigation is very complex involving numerous witnesses, videos of many types and significant physical evidence,” Schubert said. “This is an ongoing investigation and we anticipate further arrests in this case.”

Martin was being held without bond, according to online jail records. CNN was unable to reach an attorney for him.

During an emotional vigil Monday night, Sacramento community members and officials expressed frustration at the repeated instances of gun violence in the city and called for action to prevent further shootings.

“The last time we had a mass shooting, we did the same thing,” said a speaker who did not give his name but identified himself as the cousin of one of the victims. “We sat here, raised our candles, talked about the fact that the police are there for us now, the officials are there for us now.”

“How are they there for us when we’re sitting around doing the same fucking thing again? The same thing,” he said. “So who’s going to stop him?”

Here’s what we know from the shoot so far.

How did the filming go

The shooting happened just after 2 a.m. in a busy downtown area, a few blocks from the California State Capitol, Sacramento City Hall and the Golden 1 Center, where the city’s NBA team plays home games.

Video posted on social media appears to show an altercation before the shooting, police said in a statement. “We are currently working to determine the relationship, if any, between these events and the shooting,” the statement said.

During the initial investigation, detectives found over 100 casings and discovered at least three buildings and three cars that had been hit by bullets.

“There were a lot of gunshots that night, hence the complexity of the investigation,” Police Chief Katherine Lester told CNN affiliate KCRA.

Lester said there were multiple shooters and a big fight preceded the shots. A stolen handgun was among hundreds of pieces of evidence found at the scene, she said Sunday.

Police served search warrants at three homes and at least one handgun was recovered, Sacramento police said in a news release. Authorities said they received more than 100 video or photo files on a tip portal.

Victims from the age of 21

The Sacramento County Coroner’s Office identified the six deceased victims on Monday:

— Johntaya Alexander, 21 years old

— Melinda Davis, 57

–Sergio Harris, 38

–Joshua Hoye-Lucchesi, 32

— Yamile Martinez-Andrade, 21 years old

— Devazia Turner, 29

The tragedy has devastated the families of the victims, bewildered the community and angered those frustrated by another mass shooting.

“My son was a very lively young man,” Harris’s mother, Pamela Harris, told CNN affiliate KOVR. She said her son smiled all the time and didn’t bother anyone.

“And for that to happen, it’s crazy,” she said. “And I’m just at the point right now (where) I don’t know what to do. I don’t even think it’s real.”

Second mass shooting in Sacramento in recent weeks

The incident was the second mass shooting in Sacramento in the past five weeks. On February 28, a man shot dead three of his children and another man in a church. The shooter committed suicide, authorities said.

Mayor Darrell Steinberg said solutions — not good wishes — are needed to help change the trajectory of gun violence in America.

“Thoughts and prayers are not enough,” he said. “It’s high time to have a healthy conversation (about) guns in America. We have a disease – it’s a disease in our country, it’s a disease in our culture.”

Sacramento shooting: The suspect is due in court as a complex investigation continues.  Here’s what we know

Sacramento will continue to invest in programs focused on early intervention and prevention of youth violence, he said.

“In our city, we will take stock and we will do everything we can — on the investment side, on the public safety side, on the gun side — to protect the public,” Steinberg said.

Governor Gavin Newsom released a statement saying “the scourge of gun violence continues to be a crisis in our country, and we must resolve to end this carnage.”

And President Joe Biden has described Sacramento as “another community devastated by gun violence,” calling on Congress to act on gun control measures.

“In a single act in Sacramento, six people were killed and at least a dozen others injured,” Biden said in a statement. “Families changed forever. Survivors left to heal wounds seen and unseen.”

CNN’s Susannah Cullinane, Holly Yan and Stella Chan contributed to this report.


cnn

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.