NewsPolitics

‘Rust’ shooting investigation ongoing despite Alec Baldwin saying he was cleared

The sheriff’s department investigating last year’s fatal shooting on the set of the movie ‘Rust’ said on Monday it was still collecting key evidence, throwing cold water on actor Alec Baldwin’s recent claim that he had been cleared of any wrongdoing.

The Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Department investigation “remains open and ongoing,” the department said as it released files related to the investigation, including footage of the aftermath of the shooting that killed the city’s director. photography Halyna Hutchins and injured director Joel Souza.

According to Sheriff Adan Mendoza, “various elements of the investigation remain outstanding,” including FBI firearm and ballistics forensics, DNA and fingerprint analysis, findings from the New Brunswick Medical Examiner’s Office. Mexico and Baldwin’s telephone data analysis.

The investigation will not be forwarded to the district attorney’s office for review until that evidence is gathered, Mendoza said.

Baldwin, who starred in and produced the film, released a statement from his attorney last week suggesting a report from the New Mexico Bureau of Occupational Health and Safety cleared him of wrongdoing on set.

“We appreciate that the report exonerates Mr. Baldwin by making it clear that he believed the gun contained only dummy cartridges,” his attorney wrote. “Furthermore, the report acknowledges that [his] authority over the production was limited to approving script changes and creative casting.

Baldwin also maintains that he did not pull the trigger.

During and after production, the film’s crew complained that those responsible for the project did not properly explain or enforce gun safety on set. Investigators found that Baldwin’s fatal shooting was the fourth time a prop gun had been unintentionally fired during filming.

The unionized crew eventually walked off set, citing a lack of gun safety and doctors, as well as poor COVID-19 protocols. The production also failed to provide hotel rooms near the remote filming location, forcing many crew members to commute for an hour in addition to their 1 p.m. shifts, leaving them without enough time to sleep.

Documents released on Monday include text messages of crew complaints, interviews with witnesses and footage of the officers’ reverse and dash cam, but none establish how the live ammunition arrived on set. .

The newly released videos show Baldwin’s first conversations with police and investigators, both on set and at the police station. The actor is cooperative, asking that the agents “say [him] What to do.”

Other footage shows Hutchins and Souza on the ground after the shooting, as well as Souza recounting the ordeal from his hospital room.

“The gunsmith handed the actor a gun,” he said, referring to on-set gunsmith Hannah Gutierrez Reed and Baldwin. “I don’t know if she said it was cold or clean, but she handed him a gun and there was a bang – a louder bang than I heard coming from a vacuum previously.”

Baldwin’s legal team did not immediately respond to HuffPost’s request for comment on the sheriff’s comments and files.




huffpost

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.

Sara Adm

Amateur tv aficionado. Freelance zombie junkie. Pop culture trailblazer. Organizer. Web buff. Social media evangelist.
Back to top button