Russian Military Mobilization Targets Homeless, Poor – Reports


Russian authorities are mobilizing men from the country’s most vulnerable groups to send them to the front lines in Ukraine, according to independent news site Mediazona reported Tuesday.

In Moscow, security guards took men to military enlistment centers from charity centers for the homeless and needy as well as hostels where migrant workers live, Mediazona reported.

The Food Not Bombs group, which distributes food to Moscow’s homeless community, told Mediazona it had seen dozens of homeless men taken off the streets and brought to enlistment offices. military in the weeks following President Vladimir Putin’s declaration of “partial” mobilization.

“The police come here without anyone asking. They see a queue of people waiting for food – then they grab them by the scruff of the neck, against their will,” the head of the Salvation Hangar, an Orthodox Christian organization that helps the homeless, told Mediazona.

The men are then loaded onto buses and transported to military enlistment offices.

“A 60-year-old man was taken away, then he was released and returned. He told me that they had been taken to the military police station, where many people called up for war were waiting in line. He was told he didn’t meet the age criteria and that they only take men up to 45,” a rep for Food Not Bombs told Mediazona.

The news site also reported that authorities came to hostels commonly used as residences by “couriers, migrant workers, taxi drivers, petty managers and vendors” to recruit men for the Russian invasion. In progress.

A guest at the Travel Inn hostel in Moscow told Mediazona that on October 8, police cordoned off the area around the hostel and started searching rooms and asking for guest IDs.

“Those who received drafts were ordered to come with their belongings the following day at 9:00 a.m. and their passports were confiscated. Those who did not receive drafts were released,” the eyewitness said.

Hundreds of thousands of men have fled Russia since Putin declared the mobilization “partial” on September 21.

Numerous reports indicated that the mobilization effort disproportionately targeted men from poorer regions, ethnic minorities and disadvantaged backgrounds.

“That’s why they came to the Hangar”, the head of the Hangar du Salut said. “They know no one will stand up for the homeless.”


Russia news

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button