Ukraine’s armed forces say the Russians have had “no success” in their efforts to break through the front lines in the Luhansk and Donetsk regions in the past 24 hours.
In its operational update on Thursday, the General Staff said: “Lyman, Severodonetsk and Popasna areas. Enemy units are trying to conduct offensive operations, without success.”
Repelled attacks: The three cities are at the forefront of a multi-pronged Russian offensive to seize the Donetsk and Luhansk regions. The General Staff said a total of 11 attacks had been repelled.
Some Russian soldiers had refused to participate in further hostilities, according to the General Staff.
“A number of servicemen of the 38th separate motorized rifle brigade of the 35th all-military army of the Eastern Military District, after being taken to the recovery zone, refused to continue to participate in hostilities in Ukraine due to significant personnel losses,” he said. .
CNN is unable to verify such a claim and the General Staff did not provide any further details.
Injuries caused by missile strikes: Russian actions appear to have been largely missile and artillery fire over the past 24 hours. Local authorities in Kramatorsk, a town in the Donetsk region, said six people were injured and needed hospital treatment in an overnight missile attack.
At least three buildings, a school and a kindergarten were badly damaged.
On the southern front: The Zaporizhzhia regional military administration said that “the military situation has not changed significantly. Fighting is taking place around Huliaipole and along the entire line of contact. The Russians have up to 13 tactical groups of battalion in the area”.
Huliaipole was shelled for at least two weeks, as was Polohy, where a woman died from shrapnel wounds, authorities said.
More to the south: The Ukrainians claim to have recaptured settlements along the border of the Mykolaiv and Kherson regions.