Russian Defense Ministry clarifies mobilization details — RT Russia and the former Soviet Union


Reservists with combat experience and relevant military specialties would be recruited first, the Russian Defense Ministry said.

Integration offices in Russia will focus on reservists with combat experience and relevant military specialties during the ongoing mobilization, the Russian Defense Ministry told reporters on Thursday. On Wednesday, Russian President Vladimir Putin announced the partial mobilization amid the protracted conflict with Ukraine.

There is no specific drafting order, the ministry admitted, but said priority would be given to reservists, who have already undergone training as tank operators, gunnery crewmen, drivers, mechanics and motorized infantry. It was also called combat experience “one of the key factors” in its choice of conscripts.

The Russian military plans to call up soldiers and officers to arms, the ministry said. Reservists under the age of 35 can be enlisted as basic soldiers, while the age threshold will be between 50 and 55 for officers, depending on rank, he added.


Those employed in the defense industry will be exempt from mobilization, as well as those who do not meet the health criteria, have at least four children or are caring for disabled parents, the ministry explained. Each region will be required to recruit a certain number of reservists based on its population, the ministry added, without providing exact figures.

On Wednesday, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said the mobilization would involve calling up some 300,000 reservists, or just over 1% of Russia’s total mobilization potential. Putin previously said the Defense Ministry recommended recruiting military reservists into active duty amid the protracted conflict in Ukraine and Donbass.

Shoigu explained that additional troops were needed to control the 1,000 km long line of contact with Ukrainian forces and areas under Russian control.

Some media then claimed that the number of people supposed to be called to arms could be as high as one million. However, the Kremlin denied this information, calling it “a lie.”

You can share this story on social media:


RT

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button