Kremlin says there is no evidence of ‘hearsay’ accusations of Russian ‘agents’ set to entrap Ukraine
After Western media published reports on Friday quoting unnamed US officials saying Russia was plotting a “false flag” incident to invade Ukraine, the Kremlin dismissed them as baseless and baseless rumours.
“So far, all these statements have not been corroborated and have not been supported by anything”, spokesman Dmitry Peskov told TASS news agency when asked about the stories circulating.
Earlier today, unnamed US officials echoed claims from Kiev that Russia had sent “operative” in the contested regions of Donetsk and Lugansk in eastern Ukraine to prepare a “provocation” which could trigger a “invasion.”
CNN was the first to report the claim, followed by the Guardian, Washington Post, Reuters, AFP and Bloomberg.
Washington has been accusing Moscow of planning to invade Ukraine for weeks now, although the Kremlin has dismissed it as “fake news”. Similar warnings have appeared in US media every year since 2015, always based on unnamed sources, and have never materialized.
The quotes from an unnamed US official apparently matched US National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan’s insinuations about Russia. “preparing the ground for the possibility of fabricating a pretext for an invasion”, mentioned during Thursday’s press conference at the White House. Pentagon spokesman John Kirby referenced the claims during his own Friday briefing, but then added that the US assessment is that Russia has not yet decided whether to invade or not.
Washington’s assertions come after a week of high-level talks with Russia, NATO and the OSCE to discuss Moscow’s proposals to improve collective security in Europe. The United States and its allies have rejected Russia’s key proposals out of hand.
You can share this story on social media: