Speaking ahead of Bayern’s final Bundesliga game of the season at VfL Wolfsburg, Salihamidzic confirmed numerous reports that the Bundesliga’s second all-time top scorer could be on the way out despite being out on contract in 2023.
“I spoke with Lewa. During this discussion, he informed me that he did not want to accept our contract extension offer and that he would like to leave the club,” Salihamidzic told Sky Germany.
“He said he wanted to do something else. But our position has not changed. The fact is that he has a contract until June 30, 2023.”
The 33-year-old Pole joined Borussia Dortmund in 2014 and has won the German league every year since then as well as the Champions League.
A crowd favourite, the striker is on course to become the league’s top scorer for the fourth straight season and sixth overall, having netted 34 times. He also scored 13 Champions League goals.
Salihamidzic said there have been no discussions with other clubs so far.
Lewandowski’s goals helped Bayern win their 10th straight league title, but they were knocked out early in the German Cup and crashed out of the Champions League in the quarter-finals.
He has been linked with a possible move to Barcelona.
Additional Reuters reports