Ricky Martin has vowed to ‘start the healing process’ now that the domestic abuse and incest allegations made against him by his nephew have been dropped.
The Latin pop icon released a short video this week expressing his relief that a court in Puerto Rico closed the case on Thursday.
“For two weeks I was not allowed to defend myself because I was following a procedure where the law required me not to speak until I was in front of a judge,” Martin said in the clip, appeared on Entertainment Tonight, TMZ, and other outlets. “Thank goodness those claims turned out to be false.”
The two-time Grammy winner notably did not name his accuser in the video, but said the allegations had been “painful” and “devastating” for him and his family.
“I wouldn’t wish that on anyone,” Martin said. “To the person who claimed this nonsense, I wish you the best. And I wish he finds help so he can start a new life filled with love, truth and joy and not hurt anyone else.
Martin’s video follows a more formal statement released by his legal team in English and Spanish which also welcomed the court’s decision.
“It was never anything more than a troubled individual making false allegations with absolutely nothing to back them up,” the statement read. “We are happy that our client has seen justice and can now move forward with his life and career.”
Martin’s husband, Jwan Yosef, acknowledged his wife’s legal victory by posting a selfie of the couple, who have been married since 2017, on Instagram.
“Truth prevails,” he wrote in the caption.
The case made headlines earlier this month after a report that Martin had been hit with a temporary restraining order in Puerto Rico. The order stemmed from a domestic violence complaint filed by a man who alleged he and Martin had an intimate relationship that lasted seven months.
According to the allegations, Martin did not come to terms with the breakup and loitered outside the man’s house at least three times. Although the accuser was not identified in initial reports, it was later revealed to be the singer’s nephew, 21-year-old Dennis Yadiel Sanchez.
The case was dropped at Sanchez’s request, Martin’s attorneys told CNN. “The accuser confirmed in court that his decision to dismiss the case was his own, without any outside influence or pressure,” the legal team told the outlet.
Marty Singer, Martin’s attorney, vehemently denied the allegations last week.
“Unfortunately, the person who made this claim is struggling with profound mental health issues,” he told Deadline. “Ricky Martin has, of course, never been – and never would be – involved in any sexual or romantic relationship with his nephew.”
“The idea is not only wrong, it’s also disgusting,” Singer added.
Martin is also being sued by his former talent manager, Rebecca Drucker, who claims he owes him over $3 million in unpaid commissions.
Professionally, the career of the interpreter of “Livin’ la Vida Loca” remains at a steady pace. This weekend, he will return to the stage for two performances with the Los Angeles Philharmonic at the Hollywood Bowl. He is also set to appear in the upcoming AppleTV+ comedy series “Mrs. American Pie,” which stars Laura Dern and Kristen Wiig.