Queen Elizabeth cancels appearance due to ‘mobility issues’


Queen Elizabeth II will not attend a royal engagement on Tuesday due to health concerns.

Her Royal Highness, 96, “continues to experience episodic mobility issues”, Buckingham Palace revealed in a statement on Monday.

The palace added that in “consultation with her doctors”, the Queen has “reluctantly decided that she will not attend the official opening of Parliament tomorrow”.

The statement concluded by saying Prince Charles would return to his duties at the event.

“At Her Majesty’s request and with the agreement of the relevant authorities, the Prince of Wales will read the Queen’s Speech on behalf of Her Majesty, also in the presence of the Duke of Cambridge,” it read.

Queen Elizabeth II contracted COVID-19 in February. Although Charles, 73, shared in March that his mother was doing “better”, mobility issues in the elderly may be a side effect of the coronavirus.

Queen Elizabeth looks to the side while wearing a blue outfit.
Queen Elizabeth will not attend the official opening of Parliament due to health concerns.
UK Press via Getty Images

According to findings published in The Journal of the American Medical Association, middle-aged and elderly patients who have had even a mild case of COVID-19 may experience “worsened mobility and functional outcomes after infection.”

In April, Queen Elizabeth shared that the coronavirus had left her “very tired”.

“That leaves someone very tired and exhausted, doesn’t it?” she said in a chat with National Health Service workers hosted by the Royal London Hospital, per CNN. “This horrible pandemic. It’s not a nice result.

Queen Elizabeth standing on a balcony with members of her family.
The 96-year-old royal is still expected to attend her annual Jubilee celebration next month.
Getty Images

Although Her Majesty will not attend the official opening of Parliament, she is still expected to be present for her annual Jubilee celebration in June.

A spokesperson for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle told Page Six last week that the Queen and “members of the Royal Family currently performing official public duties on behalf of the Queen” will make the official public appearance and the photoshoot on the balcony of Buckingham Palace.

New York Post

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button