Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) will travel to the Suita City Stadium on Monday to face Gamba Osaka. Christophe Galtier’s men have won all three of their pre-season games so far.
Meanwhile, Barcelona president Joan Laporta has hinted at Lionel Messi’s return to Camp Nou. Elsewhere, the Parisians aren’t interested in an Atletico Madrid striker.
On that note, here’s a rundown of PSG’s top transfer stories as of July 24, 2022:
Joan Laporta hints at Lionel Messi’s return to Camp Nou
Joan Laporta has hinted that a return to Barcelona could be on the cards for Lionel Messi. The Argentine joined PSG last summer but looked out of place in his debut season in France. Exit rumors continue to swirl, with the 35-year-old now in the final year of his contract with the Parisians.
Speaking to ESPN, relayed by 90 Min, Laporta said he owes Messi a return to Barcelona.
“Messi was everything; for Barça he was perhaps the best player in history, the most efficient, only comparable to Johan Cruyff in the history of Barça. But it had to happen one day; we had to take a decision as a result of the inheritance (financial problem) we had received (from predecessor Josep Maria Bartomeu),” Laporta said.
“The institution is above the players and the coaches, but I think; I hope that the Messi chapter is not over yet at Barça. and I think our responsibility is to ensure that this open chapter, which does not has not yet been closed, has a good time where it can be done as it should have been done, and, in addition, has a much more splendid ending than it had.
“As president of Barca, I think I did what I had to do. But on a personal level and also as president, I think I owe him.”
PSG not interested in Antoine Griezmann
PSG are not interested in Antoine Griezmann, according to The Times via PSG Talk.
Atletico Madrid put the Frenchman up for sale this summer as they eye Cristiano Ronaldo. The Parisians were offered the chance to sign the 31-year-old but opted not to pursue the player.
Interestingly, Griezmann has another year left in his loan spell from Barcelona but the Rojiblancos don’t seem too keen on keeping him as they consider a move to Roanldo.
New Pariians sporting director Luis Campos is overseeing a squad overhaul this summer.
With Neymar’s future up in the air, the Ligue 1 champions got the chance to replace the Brazilian with Griezmann. However, it now looks like Campos has turned down the offer as he doesn’t want to add another player over 30 with exorbitant salaries to the squad.
The French giants are already trying to reduce their wage bill this summer and don’t have a place on their list for 31-year-old Griezmann.
Chelsea could turn to Presnel Kimpembe if he misses Jules Kounde
Chelsea could turn to Presnel Kimpembe if they fail to complete a move for Jules Kounde this summer, according to The Express. The Blues are hot on the heels of the Sevilla man but face competition from Barcelona, who are trying to hijack the move. Blues manager Thomas Tuchel is a longtime admirer of the French defender and wants him at Stamford Bridge this summer.
The Blues have offered £55million for Koundé, but Sevilla are keen to see if the Blaugrana match or exceed that amount. Tuchel has identified Kimpembe as a backup option should Barcelona get Kounde out of their clutches.
The PSG defender was linked with a move to Stamford Bridge earlier this summer but a move has so far failed to materialise. The 26-year-old’s future is uncertain and he could be open to a reunion with his former manager in London.