News

Prosecutor: Michigan shooting suspect wrote “help me”; parents accused of manslaughter

PONTIAC, Mich. (NewsNation Now) – A Michigan prosecutor said the parents of the teenager accused of killing four Oxford high school students were summoned hours earlier after a teacher found a drawing of ‘a gun, a person bleeding and the words “help me.”

Oakland County District Attorney Karen McDonald made the disclosure as she filed manslaughter charges against Jennifer and James Crumbley, parents of 15-year-old Ethan Crumbley.

Ethan Crumbley was brought back to his classroom and later came out of a bathroom, shooting a gun at the students in the hallway.

McDonald said the semi-automatic pistol used in the shooting was purchased by James Crumbley last week and handed over to the teenager.

McDonald said Jennifer Crumbley texted her son, saying “Ethan, don’t do it.”

Jennifer and James Crumbley have been charged with four counts of manslaughter. Under Michigan law, a manslaughter charge can be prosecuted if prosecutors believe someone contributed to a situation of high injury or death. If found guilty, they face up to 15 years in prison.

Ethan Crumbley has been charged as an adult with two dozen felonies, including murder, attempted murder and terrorism, for the shooting that took place Tuesday at Oxford High School in Oakland County, about 30 miles north of Detroit .

Four students were killed and seven others were injured. Three were hospitalized in stable condition.

The district superintendent posted a video on YouTube Thursday evening in which he said the teenager was called to the office before the shooting, but “no discipline was warranted.”

Tim Throne, head of Oxford community schools, said the school looks like a “war zone” and won’t be ready for weeks. But he repeatedly credited the students and staff for the way they responded to the violence.

“To say I’m still in shock and numb is probably an understatement. These events that have happened will not define us, ”Throne said, face dark and speaking slowly, in the 12-minute video.

“I want you to know that there was a lot of talk about the student who was apprehended, he was called into the office and all that stuff. No discipline was justified, ”said Throne. “There is no disciplinary file in high school. Yes, this student had contact with our front office, and, yes, his parents were on campus on November 30th.

Throne said he couldn’t immediately release further details.

This is a developing story; come back for updates.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


whnt

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button