Entertainment

Prince William attends 1st royal engagement after Kate Middleton cancer announcement

WATCH: Prince William attends first royal engagement since Kate’s cancer revelation

Prince William returned to work this week in his first official public appearance since his wife Kate, Princess of Wales, revealed she had been diagnosed with cancer.

William traveled to Surrey on Thursday to visit Surplus to Supper, a non-profit organization that distributes surplus food to people in need.

The royal engagement is William’s first since March, when Kate first publicly announced that she had been diagnosed with cancer and was undergoing preventative chemotherapy.

Alastair Grant/Pool via Reuters

Prince William is greeted as he arrives for a visit to Surplus to Supper, a surplus food redistribution charity in Sunbury-on-Thames, Surrey, Britain, April 18, 2024.

Kate shared her diagnosis in a video message posted on March 22, the same day William and Kate’s three children, Princes George and Louis and Princess Charlotte, began their Easter vacation from school.

Kensington Palace said at the time that William would return to public duties once George, Charlotte and Louis returned to school.

In her video message, Kate asked for respect for her family’s privacy.

Kensington Palace has only said that Kate will return to public duties once she is medically cleared to do so.

BBC Studios

Catherine, Princess of Wales, released an official statement on her health on March 22, 2024.

The family has stayed out of the spotlight since Kate’s announcement, including not attending the Easter service at St. George’s Chapel with other members of the royal family.

Since Kate’s announcement, the only sighting of members of the Wales family was on April 11, when William and George attended an Aston Villa soccer match in Birmingham, England.

MORE: Princes William and George attend soccer match together amid Kate Middleton’s cancer battle

William’s return to royal duties is a needed boost for the British royal family.

Swimming Pool Alastair Grant-WPA/Getty Images

Prince William, Prince of Wales, views items displayed by Operations Director Claire Hopkins, right, during a visit to Surplus to Supper, Sunbury-on-Thames on April 18, 2024 in Surrey, England.

In addition to Kate taking a break from royal duties, her father-in-law, King Charles III, has a reduced workload due to his own battle with cancer.

The palace did not specify what type of cancer Charles was diagnosed with, the stage of the cancer or the type of treatment he is undergoing.

MORE: What’s next for Kate Middleton, Prince William and their children after cancer diagnosis

In the absence of Charles and Kate, the pressure has fallen on William, as well as Queen Camilla, Charles’s wife, to be the most public faces of the royal family.

Buckingham Palace has not said when Charles will fully return to public duties.

Gn entert
News Source : www.goodmorningamerica.com

Eleon

With a penchant for words, Eleon Smith began writing at an early age. As editor-in-chief of his high school newspaper, he honed his skills telling impactful stories. Smith went on to study journalism at Columbia University, where he graduated top of his class.After interning at the New York Times, Smith landed a role as a news writer. Over the past decade, he has covered major events like presidential elections and natural disasters. His ability to craft compelling narratives that capture the human experience has earned him acclaim.Though writing is his passion, Eleon also enjoys hiking, cooking and reading historical fiction in his free time. With an eye for detail and knack for storytelling, he continues making his mark at the forefront of journalism.
Back to top button