Skip to content

LONDON – Prince Philip, husband of British Queen Elizabeth II, is responding to treatment for an infection but will remain in a London hospital for the next few days, Buckingham Palace said in a statement on Tuesday.

“He is comfortable and responding to treatment, but should not be discharged from hospital for several days,” said the palace, without naming the type or severity of the infection.

The Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to a London hospital on February 16 as a “precautionary measure” on the advice of his doctor “after feeling unwell”, with an illness unrelated to Covid -19, the palace has already said.

Philip, 99, and the Queen received the Covid-19 vaccine in January.

The royal couple stayed at Windsor Castle, about 50 km west of London, during the coronavirus pandemic that hit the UK, which has the highest death toll in Europe.

Philip married then-Princess Elizabeth in 1947 and together they have four children – heir to the throne, Prince Charles, born in 1948; Princess Anne, born in 1950; Prince Andrew, born in 1960; and Prince Edward, born 1964 – with dozens of great and great-grandchildren.

A former naval officer and avid polo player, Philip enjoyed solid health into old age, but has had a number of health issues in recent years. He retired from public office in 2017 and is the longest-serving royal consort in British history.

He was last hospitalized in December 2019, when he spent four nights in the hospital for what the palace said was planned treatment for a pre-existing condition, although this did not reveal why. it was.

Download the NBC News app for the latest news and politics

Charles paid him a brief visit to the hospital on Saturday, while his grandson Prince William told reporters on Monday during a visit to a vaccination center that his grandfather was “OK, they keep an eye on him “.

Philip’s illness comes at a difficult time for the monarchy after it was announced last week that William’s younger brother, Prince Harry, and his American wife, Meghan, would be severing all official royal duties.

The couple moved with their son Archie to California last year to live more independent lives and escape the British media. Next month, they’ll be giving a “high-profile” interview to US talk show host Oprah Winfrey.

Reuters contributed to this report.

Yuliya Talmazan contributed.




Source link