National NewsUSA News

Prince Harry and Meghan visit the Queen together for the first time in two years


Prince Harry and Meghan Markle visited Queen Elizabeth II together for the first time since leaving royal life more than two years ago during a brief stopover in the UK.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex visited Windsor Castle in the UK on Thursday on their way to The Hague, Netherlands, to attend the Invictus Games, the BBC reported on Friday. The Prince is a founding partner of the Games.

Markle had not seen the 95-year-old monarch since March 2020 and he is not believed to have been in the country since then. Prince Harry attended the unveiling of a statue of his mother, Princess Diana, in July 2021.

The Duke and Duchess are also said to have met Prince Harry’s father Prince Charles at Windsor Castle, but Harry’s older brother Prince William is believed to be abroad for a family ski holiday.

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex attend a reception for friends and family of Invictus Games competitors at Nations Home at Zuiderpark on April 15, 2022 in The Hague, Netherlands. The couple visited Queen Elizabeth II at Windsor Castle on Thursday.
Samir Hussein/WireImage/Getty Images

Harry promised the Queen she would soon see her two children, according to The mirror, which cited high-level royal sources. The newspaper cited these sources describing the meeting with the Queen as “incredibly warm and good-natured”.

Meghan and Harry’s children are Archie, 2, and Lilibet, 10 months. The Queen has never met her great-granddaughter despite being named after her. “Lilibet” was a nickname the queen had as a child. The Sussexes are currently based in California.

Their meeting with Prince Charles lasted about 15 minutes, according to daily mail, and took place before the meeting with the Queen. Charles’ wife Camilla reportedly joined him halfway through his meeting with his son and daughter-in-law.

The newspaper also suggested that Harry meeting his father was a prerequisite to meeting the Queen, but this has not been confirmed.

The couple’s exit from royal life two years ago proved highly controversial, particularly following an interview Harry and Meghan gave to Oprah Winfrey, which was published in March 2021.

Meghan has previously accused an unnamed senior member of the Royal Family of racism, while Harry is currently in a row with the UK Home Office.

The UK government has said it will not provide the same level of security for the Sussexes while in the UK as they previously had when they were full members of the Royal Family. This despite Harry’s offer to cover the costs himself.

Prince Harry did not attend a memorial service for his late grandfather, Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, which took place at Westminster Abbey in London in March this year.

This memorial service was the first major event the Queen has attended in 2022. The elderly monarch has suffered from health issues this year and has mobility issues. She withdrew from several events.

She did not attend the traditional Maundy Thursday coin ceremony at St George’s Chapel in Windsor this week and Prince Charles replaced her. She is also not expected to attend an Easter service this Sunday.

Elizabeth II will turn 96 on April 21 and the country will celebrate 70 years on the throne. It is unclear whether Harry and Meghan will attend the festivities.

Newsweek asked Buckingham Palace for comment.


gb7

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button