The joy of receiving a note from a member of the royal family, in response to a card or letter, has long been keenly felt by supporters around the world.
But the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are now facing a stampede to make new arrangements for their correspondence after the Prince of Wales withdrew financial support for the courier service provided by his team at Clarence House.
The couple’s decision not to return to the royal fold as active family members means all professional ties will be severed from the end of next month.
For convenience, which will include arrangements for their mail, the Sunday Telegraph understands, meaning supporters may have to start mailing their cards to the United States instead.
Clarence House’s Correspondence Section, consisting of around four staff, has traditionally handled mail from the Sussexes, as well as that of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Charles and Duchess of Cornwall.
Thousands of letters and cards are received each month for each family member, all of which are carefully sorted and organized, with the majority generating polished responses on monogrammed paper, stamped from Buckingham Palace.
Although the Prince of Wales receives the most messages, the volume of letters flowing in to the Sussexes has reportedly declined since they moved overseas.
But the bags are still received, with notable peaks around birthdays, Christmas or important announcements.
The process is privately funded by the Prince and, while not a significant cost, still amounts to tens of thousands per year, including staff costs, overheads, paper and stamps.
An issue which was behind the decision and which the Royal Office would also have no prior knowledge of any events, campaigns or announcements made by the Sussexes that could cause a sudden surge in mail.
A source close to the Sussexes said their new arrangements had not yet been determined, but pointed out that there was an Los Angeles address for the couple’s Archewell Foundation on their website.
However, they will need to act quickly to deal with the expected deluge of congratulatory messages when the Duchess gives birth to their second child in early summer.
The couple’s highly anticipated interview with Oprah Winfrey, which airs in the United States next Sunday night, will also elicit a significant response.
The 90-minute special, which was reportedly taped for two days at their Santa Barbara home earlier this month, will almost certainly ruffle feathers as they discuss their decision to step down as members of the Royal family.
An aide said the public could expect the couple to expand on questions raised by the Duke in his interview with James Corden, which aired last week, in which he discussed everything from his son’s first word – crocodile – to the “toxic” British media which had been destroying his sanity.
Gayle King, a friend of Ms Winfrey’s and a CBS presenter, claimed the Cat Queen told her the interview was “‘the best she’s ever done.’