Skip to content
Prince Andrew to challenge US court jurisdiction in sexual assault trial |  World news

Prince Andrew plans to challenge the jurisdiction of a US court over a civil lawsuit brought by a woman who accused him of sexual assault, court records show.

In the case filed with the US District Court in Manhattan, an attorney for the Duke of York said the prince also plans to challenge the fact that he was properly served with the trial by accuser Virginia Giuffre.

Prince Andrew has always categorically denied any contact or sexual relationship with Ms Giuffre.

A US court will hold a pre-trial conference later in the civil trial.

The hearing, which will take place in New York, will examine whether Ms Giuffre’s legal team did enough to deliver documents regarding the civil lawsuit to the Duke of York.

Ms Giuffre’s attorneys said the the documents were handed over to a metropolitan police officer on duty at the main gates of Andrew’s house in Windsor Great Park on August 27.

But Blackfords, a law firm that represents the prince “in certain British affairs”, questioned whether the papers had been properly served.

Judge Lewis Kaplan of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York will decide whether efforts to present the papers to the prince have been sufficient or whether more is needed.

Ms Giuffre claims she was trafficked by Andrew’s former friend and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein for having sex with the prince, when she was 17 and a minor under the law American.

In a 2019 BBC Newsnight interview, Prince Andrew said he had never had sex with Ms Giuffre, saying: “I can absolutely tell you categorically that this has never happened.”

The duke said he had “no recollection” of ever meeting her and that there were “a number of things wrong” about her account.

He also suggested that a photo showing him with his arm around Ms Giuffre may have been tampered with.