Skip to content
Premier League announces sanctions for six clubs involved in Super League breakaway

The Super League wanted to guarantee 15 clubs a place in a 20-team competition every season, regardless of their performance on the pitch.

Criticism from fans was instant and fierce, as protests erupted around the grounds of the clubs involved and the project imploded.

In a statement, and described as a “gesture of goodwill,” the six clubs agreed to pay a combined total of $ 31 million which “will be used for the good of the game, including further investment in fan support, grassroots and community football “. programs. ”

New rule changes were also supported by the clubs involved “so that any similar action in the future” results in a deduction of 30 points. Each of the six clubs, in this case, would also be subject to an additional fine of $ 35 million.

Last month, UEFA opened disciplinary proceedings against Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus after the teams’ involvement in the European Super League.
LILY: ESL lasted three years. It took 48 hours to untangle

European Court of Justice

The three European giants were part of a group of 12 teams that announced their intention to form a breakaway competition in April.

Earlier in May, Real Madrid, Barca and Juve issued a joint statement announcing that despite “the unacceptable and continuing pressure and threats received from UEFA”, they intended to persevere in the search for a solution to what they call an “unsustainable situation in the football industry.”

Later Wednesday, the UEFA Appeals Body said it “had decided to stay the proceedings until further notice”.

“UEFA notes that the decision to temporarily suspend the proceedings was taken by the UEFA Appeals Body following the formal notification made to UEFA by the competent Swiss authorities on 2 June 2021 of an ex parte court decision obtained on April 20, 2021 by the European Entity Super League Company SL court of Madrid Commercial Court No.17 (the ‘court order’), ”the European football governing body said in a statement.

“Relying on the court order, the three clubs mentioned have sought to protect themselves from the potential disciplinary consequences linked to this so-called ‘Super League’ project,” the UEFA statement added.

In May, the European Court of Justice declared he had received a referral from the European Super League (ESL) claiming that UEFA and FIFA were in “violation of EU competition rules”, concerning the dismissal of the Madrid commercial court.
The European Court of Justice case “could create a legal earthquake with deeper implications than the Bosman case,” according to the Spanish news agency EFE.

The defense of the Super League is led by the law firm Clifford Chance and the lawyer Jean-Louis Dupont, architect of the “Bosman affair” and of the “Meca-Medina affair”, as well as by the expert Belgian Martin Hissel, according to the EFE.

Dupont was part of the legal squad representing Belgian player Jean-Marc Bosman, whose victorious battle to change clubs at the end of his contract with Standard de Liège changed the face of the football transfer market. Players are now allowed to make free transfers when their club agreements expire.

.



Source link