CHICAGO (CBS) – Chicago police are warning the public of armed robberies and carjackings that occurred Saturday morning across the city.
The thefts took place in the neighborhoods of Little Village, Noble Square, Roscoe Village, Lakeview, Lincoln Park and Wicker Park.
Police said that during each incident, multiple armed offenders approached victims on public roads and demanded the victims’ vehicles and property with threats of force. After taking possession of the vehicle and the personal belongings of the victims, the attackers fled in several vehicles.
Incident times and locations:
3300 block of West 31st Street on July 16, 2022 at 6:30 a.m.
3700 block of West 33rd Street on July 16, 2022 at 6:35 a.m.
Block 1200 of North Greenview Avenue on July 16, 2022 at 6:54 a.m.
Block 3400 of North Hamilton Avenue on July 16, 2022 at 7:20 a.m.
900 block of West Newport Avenue on July 16, 2022 at 7:20 a.m.
Block 800 of Buckingham Place on July 16, 2022 at 7:21 a.m.
Block 2500 of North Orchard Avenue on July 16, 2022 at 7:33 a.m.
1600 block of North Marshfield Avenue on July 16, 2022 at 7:36 a.m.
The offenders are described as three to four African American men between the ages of 18 and 25, wearing dark clothing and ski masks. The men used dark colored semi-automatic handguns.
The police remind the public:
· Be aware of these crimes and alert your family and friends who live in the area.
· Be aware of your surroundings and free from distractions.
· If you are confronted by an attacker, remain calm.
Pay particular attention to suspicious individuals or vehicles in the area.
· Dial 911 immediately if you are a victim or witness of a crime and provide a detailed description of the offender(s), including vehicle description and license plate information.
· If you are approached by a witness to an incident, ask them to stay at the scene when possible or obtain their contact details.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Detective Division of the Area 3 Detective Bureau at 312-744-8263.